Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember I had made mention of a Ruby-ish coloured GQV here in Secunda driven by a lady and this car whenever I see it, is flying! Always sitting on people's bumpers and forcing them out the way - I like that!:cheese: Kind of GTI-ish!:cheese:

Anyway...I've known for a while now that she lives somewhere in my area as I've seen the car there and on my way home a couple of times, but never on the same road as me...always in the opposite direction!

Today, coming back from lunch and onto the long winding 2km stretch into SASOL 1 gate I spot the unmistakable rear lights!!! She flies into the right turning lane and I'm about 200m behind so I gun for it to catch her and the green traffic light!

I barely make it and I'm stuck behind a black Polo(bloody VW drivers!:thumbs:) I wait for the second lane to open up and I gun for it, I"m sitting on her rear bumper now and it doesn't take 1 second for this woman to realise!! Woman should all be like this, I can see the GQV's ass sit as she floors, she immediately open 1 car gap! I'm in 2nd looked like she was in 3rd as the car pulled gradually, not slow nor fast...she holds my 2nd gear and I snap to 3rd(where the REVO 2 comes alive) and I close slowely and we both brake for traffic.

She then swerves into the 2nd lane and I follow suit, still maintaining a 1 car gap and then I hit 4th and the GQV seem to be running out of steem, I had to tap off 3 times in 4th and then came to the side of her GQV to hoot and smile and show my enjoyment of racing such a beautiful car...I pull up beside her and hoot and smile but she stares infront of her...kind of a damper after such a nice race!

Conclusion:

GQV holds a Stage 2 GTi in 2nd and 3rd convincingly!
4th onwards the GQV loses steem...wonder why
4th gear is actually when Stage 2 cars come alive, 4th and higher up.
Wonder what a standing start would look like with all the REVO 2's wheelspin
GQV's in gear acceleration from the outside looks very gradual and smooth - but alas, no sound at all:tut::wow:
Wonder what a Powerjet 3 would do higher up in the gears seeing that a standard GQV holds its own and proves its 173kw!!!

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Conclusion:

GQV holds a Stage 2 GTi in 2nd and 3rd convincingly!
4th onwards the GQV loses steem...wonder why
I think the turbo might be too small, in other words on high revolutions shes sort of spinning against herself, thats why i think the 159 1750 has a bigger turbo, its a highway car so bigger turbo loses a bit low down but has lots if air so that you dot have to rev and go crazy driving on the highway, just foot down and whoooossssshhhh sail away :)

Sort of bummed out to hear the GTi gave it tickets higher up :(

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No you should not be bummed out...remember my stage 2 file is set up for higher gears, nowadays people don't race 400m anymore, hulle wil tot die einde toe race!

the stage 2 file even removes the limiter!

I think HGSan should see how quicker the Powerjet makes the GQV as I'm sure it will beat me or even sit with me to 230kph or higher!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Does everybody drive like a **** in south africa?

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
:lol: Yes ;)

I'm sure I've posted this before and then someone else even posted again

BASIC RULES FOR DRIVING IN GAUTENG (Province in South Africa)

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Gauteng driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled by two Golfs, a BMW and an Uno, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will only result in you being rear-ended.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving you a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it’s a chance to stretch your legs.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left. It’s a good way to check if the people entering the highway are awake.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a guideline. They are especially not applicable in Gauteng during rush hour. That’s why it’s called ‘rush hour…’.

8. Just because you’re in the right lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn’t mean that a Gauteng driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn’t think he can go faster in your spot.
lol :p

9. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. Never stop to help - you will be mugged.

10. Learn to swerve abruptly. Gauteng is the home of the high-speed slalom driving thanks to the Road Works Department, which puts holes in key locations to test drivers’ reflexes and keep them on their toes.

11. It is traditional in Gauteng to honk your horn at cars that don’t move the instant the light turns green. This prevents storks from building nests on top of the traffic light and minahs from making deposits on your car.

12. Remember that the goal of every Gauteng driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary.

13. In the Gauteng area, “flipping someone the bird” is considered a polite Gauteng salute. This gesture should always be returned.

14. On average, at least three cars can still go through an intersection after the light has turned red. It’s people not adhering to this basic principal that cause the big traffic jams during rush hour.

15. A solid white line is the same as a staggered line in Gauteng. The Metro Police Department just have to save paint to buy new cars for all the new directors. A solid white line next to a staggered line means they have sorted the directors out and the paint contract has been awarded to their wives

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YES Ghosty, All great speed demons are descendants of Africans...

P

·
0 Posts
Was in a GQV this weekend... Giuli, I am telling you the 1.4 MultiAir sounds a lot better than the QV!

Probably because you have 1.4l of gasses coming out of 1 exhaust for the MA instead of 0.875l per exhaust pipe for the QV?

And the power of the QV is far more linear whereas with the MA you get that shunt at about 2000revs when the turbo kicks in! If this MA doesnt win car of the year Alfa will never EVER win a car of the year in SA again!

To me the 1.4 MA offers just as good value as the 156 did when it won car of the year! Doesnt hurt that the Giulietta is officially responsible for ensuring Alfa's biggest market share in the hatchback segment EVER! :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
:lol:
No, I drive properly...... ;):D
Racing is for track days......
I used to , but I am much better now .......:p

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Only when I am on private roads.:rolleyes:
Strange that all of them tend to be called N something.:confused:
No all honesty I also calmed down and definitely attempt to stay away from robot to robot sprints since the cars just became to fast for that.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
:lol:
No, I drive properly...... ;):D
Racing is for track days......
I used to , but I am much better now .......:p
Real Gautengers are not scared to die on the road. Get ahead and stay ahead.

It is only when you worry that your kids may die, that you first change attitude.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yebo...that's why there's NO stupid extra road tax and e-tolling in CPT...ALL the roads, even in Mitchels Plain are smooth as eggs!

·
Registered
310 Posts
:lol: Yes ;)

I'm sure I've posted this before and then someone else even posted again

BASIC RULES FOR DRIVING IN GAUTENG (Province in South Africa)

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Gauteng driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled by two Golfs, a BMW and an Uno, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will only result in you being rear-ended.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving you a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it’s a chance to stretch your legs.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left. It’s a good way to check if the people entering the highway are awake.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a guideline. They are especially not applicable in Gauteng during rush hour. That’s why it’s called ‘rush hour…’.

8. Just because you’re in the right lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn’t mean that a Gauteng driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn’t think he can go faster in your spot.
lol :p

9. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. Never stop to help - you will be mugged.

10. Learn to swerve abruptly. Gauteng is the home of the high-speed slalom driving thanks to the Road Works Department, which puts holes in key locations to test drivers’ reflexes and keep them on their toes.

11. It is traditional in Gauteng to honk your horn at cars that don’t move the instant the light turns green. This prevents storks from building nests on top of the traffic light and minahs from making deposits on your car.

12. Remember that the goal of every Gauteng driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary.

13. In the Gauteng area, “flipping someone the bird” is considered a polite Gauteng salute. This gesture should always be returned.

14. On average, at least three cars can still go through an intersection after the light has turned red. It’s people not adhering to this basic principal that cause the big traffic jams during rush hour.

15. A solid white line is the same as a staggered line in Gauteng. The Metro Police Department just have to save paint to buy new cars for all the new directors. A solid white line next to a staggered line means they have sorted the directors out and the paint contract has been awarded to their wives
Thanks for the tips. It starts to make sense now. I don't get number 13, please clarify.

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't really call what he posted that bad to honest. I know of lads that close off roads and go racing look at sweden they do worse on the roads. You're telling me you have driven fast or tried to keep up with someone?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts