Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a little confused here, do we like them? They look good, 159 looks stunning but doesnt seem to be the hit the 156 was back in the day! Some people say they dont even drive like an alfa should, so what do we actually think! The 156 looks plush, the 166 just blows my mind away, along with the GTV (esp the cup), even the older 164's etc...look something special!

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
I really love the 159 / Brera / Spider. And I like them more every day. The 159 didn't have the WOW factor the 156 had when she was introduced, but the 159 really grew on me.

However, my favorite Alfas come from the sixties (Giulia / GT Veloce / Spider) and the last ten years (147 / 156 / 166 / GTV / 916 Spider / GT)

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
I like them, a lot. I'd say that the 159 and Brera/Spider look a bit too much alike, particularly the front.

The stronger residual values these cars are enjoying and I am sure they'll keep enjoying, shows Alfa's sorting itself out nicely.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Look wise they're great (especially the Ti pack) - I just wish they kept the character of the previous V6 and shed a few (well quite a few actually) pounds :) :) :)

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
I don't like them at all !! :rolleyes:

:p

:D

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
i loved the 156 when it came onto the market, same with the GTV/Spider of 1996-2006, but i dunno theres something about the 159/Brera that just doesn't do it for me. I've not fallen in love with them the way i did the 156, if i had the money though i'd probably still buy one (used ofcourse!), but then i'm a sucker for Alfa!

F

·
0 Posts
Like music, this is a very personal thing. I prefer the 156 (both early and facelifted) to the 159, also to me they have more of the Alfa heart (especially the engines). I have a soft spot for the early 164s with the grey lower bodywork and also like the Alfetta GTV6. But the challenge Alfa faces is that to be commercially successful their models have to lose some of what typifies the Alfa, ie the focus on the engine, handling and looks at the expense of everything else. Now they have to be more reliable, well built and less "extreme" to compete in the consumer market. So on balance I tend to prefer the older Alfas to the newer ones (probably cos I'm an old guy that has been around Alfas since the 80s), but I still think the newer Alfas look better than anything else on the road at present (in my price range!). Mind you, I haven't driven any of them so I would be interested to hear from those that have owned both old and new on the comparative driving experience.

Let's face it, the Brera won the recent Top Gear challenge hands down on its combination of looks and style, so it shows the newer ones still have that certain something that marks them out as Alfas.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
I think the bolder front grille (re-)introduced
in the 147 has helped push Alfas' looks into the 21st
century. Along with the 6 light front of the
159/Brera.

Neither are actually new features, but it makes
them look damn sexy.

Still not sure about the 147 facelift though....

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I really like them. :)

I think part of the reason some people don't like the 159 is that the 156 was such a leap forward from the 155, whereas the 159 sort of looks like a more grown-up 156 - it's not such a radical change.

And no matter how nice the Brera is, it's not as nice as the Brera concept. Even though Alfa said the concept wouldn't reach production, and even though it was pretty unlikely that they'd use a rwd 400bhp V8 with a carbonfibre body and scissor doors to replace the existing fwd GTV at £20k-£30k, some people were still disappointed.

With some people (although few on here) I think there's also an element of jealousy that their £5k GTV (same as mine) suddenly looks a bit dated, and isn't the top-of-the-range any more.

Finally there's the 'GM engine' issue, or non-issue. As far as I know (happy to be corrected) it's pretty much just the block that came out of the joint venture - everything else is bespoke to the Alfas. But if you're looking for a stick to beat the new cars with then it's easy to ignore the details, and if enough people keep repeating that it's a GM engine then the actual truth of it gets lost.

So although I really like my GTV, the Brera makes it feel like what it is - a car from a previous generation. That doesn't make it bad, any more than cars from the sixties are bad, it's just that the world has moved on.

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
The GT is the most beautiful car on the road, of course when I had the 156 that was the most beautiful car in the road.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have to say that the 159 V6, which I collect on Friday, is to me a real breath of fresh air compared with the German "mundanobiles" it competes with. I am really looking forward to the ownership experience.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
I still like the current range,but they aren`t head and shoulders above the competition,in the styling stakes,as the 156,GTV and 147 were launched.
The 156 in particular was such a classic design,that it must of been a real headache for the design team of the 159.
The 159 is definitely a grower,and the black sw I saw the other day looked as suave as any Italian car should.
I still cant` decide if I like the Brera or not.Some elements look fantastic,but I still think the side proportions look odd and it could do with bigger wheels.
Perhaps its the existence of the original concept,which shows how it should have looked?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I still feel a little disapointed by them...

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
I still feel a little disapointed by them...
I am disapponted by it,just becuase the orginal concept was so staggeringly gorgeous.Something got lost in the transformation from rear wheel drive supercar to front wheel drive semi sporting coupe.
(A longer wheel base and push the wheels nearer to the corners,thats how it should be.)
The Brera still has real presecence,but in my head I just see the original concept,and think what a missed opportunity.
It wouldn`t be so bad if it had less weight or more power,to dsipel my misgivings.

I think the 159SW is the best of the current crop.They ruined the 147 for me with the big nose,restyle,the 159 saloon is too similar to the 156,whereas the 159sw just looks "right".

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Is this turning into a 'slag the Brera off' thread :confused: :rant:

:rolleyes:

How many concepts actually make it to production !! Not many !! :tut:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts