Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so had some free time to strip and have a good look pipe to turbo and MAF was pretty loose and cracked check both intercooler pipes no splits and in ok condition so removed all pipes and decided to treat myself and bought bother intercooler pipes and new turbo MAF pipe from autolusso nice silicon variety while the MAF is off going to buy some electrical contact cleaner and give it a clean

Also this pipe (pics attached) what does this do one end is attched to the inlet and the other to turbo MAF pipe has big round plastic in the middle?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
That's the crankcase breather hose, and the UFO shaped thingy in the middle I believe is the PCV valve.

All that horrible oil vapour that ends up in the turbo/intercooler/hoses/manifold comes from that pipe.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the crankcase breather hose, and the UFO shaped thingy in the middle I believe is the PCV valve.

All that horrible oil vapour that ends up in the turbo/intercooler/hoses/manifold comes from that pipe.
Any way to delete it or put oil catch tank in and filter breather?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Yea Damien was running an in-line catch can for a while, as are a few of the 159/Brera crowd (more info here: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...-line-mini-oil-catch-tank-rutland-motors.html )

Seems like there might be some issues with the mini catch-cans blocking up if not regularly maintained though...

Damien has an E-Vac scavenger installed in the exhaust now - Little venturi nozzle that uses the velocity of the exhaust gas to create a slight suction, hence all his crank-case fumes get dumped into the exhaust downpipe without ever going through the engine.

Other option would be to cap off the port on the MAF/Turbo hose, and fit a small filter on the crank case breather line and just vent to atmosphere in the engine bay.. Can give you a bit of a smelly car though!

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's actually what I've been thinking about doing but instead of filter maybe a tank? What about the pcv can I just remove this?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts