Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been comments in the 4C thread that the car will be outrageously expensive to insure, based on:

1. performance (4.5s to 62mph, 1.1g cornering, 2.25 braking)
  2. theft risk?
  3. carbon tub (repairable?)
  4. laminated body (repairs, fragility?)
  5. paints (matt white option?)
  6. alloys (unique?)
So, what ball park are talking here? Group 50?

A 50 year old, 7+ years no claims, no speeding points, off road parking, rural England and IAMs passes pays £400 odd for a GQV, how much more for the 4C ?

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I don't understand what you are expecting :confused:

What is 'outrageously expensive'?

It will be a hefty sum that's for sure but aren't all small volume high performance sports coupes?

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
97 Posts
Insurance is more about you than the vehicle, although of course the vehicle does make a difference.

Nobody can answer your question though, your definition of expensive may not be the same as the next person.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understood - hence the thumbnail of the typical customer below.

Apologies for the vagueness of the word "outrageous". Could have been more specific and said "over £1,500 a year for the 'typical customer' below"

The real question was "does the choice of a design and manufacture in carbon fibre really increase the costs of insurance", which can be left to later to answer

I'll get quotes from 6 sources and see what comes out of that, but not until the vehicle is fully typed and released for the UK

R

·
0 Posts
I think you're right that it's the repairability (sic) which is likley to be the biggest contributor towards insurance cost/underwriter nervousness.

Sometimes though one can be pleasantly surprised by what's on offer, particularly from the supplying manufacturer. I ended up paying less than £400 to insure my C63 via MBs own AMG scheme and I'm ten years younger than you, was expecting £1k at least.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Insurance is more about you than the vehicle, although of course the vehicle does make a difference.

Nobody can answer your question though, your definition of expensive may not be the same as the next person.
That seems a very political answer. You are saying insurance is based on the person and the vehicle.

What we are trying to get at is davidjwbailey' s example of 50yo with 7yrs + no claims etc etc. Is it going to cost Rover 100 money or Fezza Enzo money???

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
97 Posts
That seems a very political answer. You are saying insurance is based on the person and the vehicle.

What we are trying to get at is davidjwbailey' s example of 50yo with 7yrs + no claims etc etc. Is it going to cost Rover 100 money or Fezza Enzo money???
I cannot answer that question specifically, there will be no 'set price' , insurance quotations will vary from vehicle to vehicle, as will level of insurance cover. I am not looking to fob anyone off by the non-answer.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the vehicle uninsurable though.

Kind regards

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Tel: 01707 642552

·
Registered
620 Posts
I imagine it'd be no different from insuring any other mid-range sportscar, be it a Porsche, M3 or whatever.

At the end of the day, if you're in the fortunate position to be pondering one of these beauties, then insurance shouldn't be that much of a burden, haha!

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I imagine it'd be no different from insuring any other mid-range sportscar, be it a Porsche, M3 or whatever.

At the end of the day, if you're in the fortunate position to be pondering one of these beauties, then insurance shouldn't be that much of a burden, haha!
Whatever you spend on cars and £40-£50k is not really all that much, you are concerned about insurance costs. Unless you have obscene amounts of money I would wager you are still bothered by running costs.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Whatever you spend on cars and £40-£50k is not really all that much, you are concerned about insurance costs. Unless you have obscene amounts of money I would wager you are still bothered by running costs.
That's certainly relative... I guess it depends what you'd spend on a house (or other priorities) as well (although in years gone by they were almost guaranteed to increase in value where most cars decrease). To me, 40-50k is a lot of money to spend on a car but then I generally prefer to buy outright, not on finance and would do the same with a house if I could.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts