Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Snowbound roads - are you staying at home?

• Yes, working/staying home - silly driving in this weather

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No, I'm risking it to get to work come what may!

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • No, the weather is fine here.

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • I don't need to go out but I will anyway for the fun of it.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 10.5%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's fairly deep outside our house and still falling. JimJr's school is closed again. Sis-in-law works at M&S in the Trafford Centre starting at 7am - phoned to say she'd been stuck on the supposedly moving anti-clockwise M60 for almost two hours travelling the 5 miles from her home.

I was frozen to the core in our badly heated offices yesterday so I generously elected to work from home and keep an eye on little 'un. MrsJim's work then phoned to say don't come in.

So, what about you? Are you stoically struggling through to work?

G

·
Nope. Kids have built 2 snowmen already. Traffic is solid up both hills out of Stoneclough. I'm going nowhere.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
As our 'drop zone' is not scheduled to be affected until later P.M. today, and the roads are still clear, the missus is about to do her shop via. the local omnibus service. Pity she can't use my bus pass, young dolly bird that she is? :D

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No way am I going into work in this. It's not so much the getting there that bothers me, it's if it carries on and I can't get back!!

No 'day off' though, remote access :cry:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. Kids have built 2 snowmen already. Traffic is solid up both hills out of Stoneclough. I'm going nowhere.
I would have stayed well clear of Stoneclough and Slackey Brow if I had risked it. Not surprised. Traffic was worse than normal yesterday.

Glad I'm cosy here...and I can listen to the cricket. ;)

Better turn on my laptop methinks.

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
"Other" for me - I don't work! The only "work" I'll be doing today is shifting another load of "global warming" off the drive.

This looks like the worst yet . . .

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Other" for me - I don't work! The only "work" I'll be doing today is shifting another load of "global warming" off the drive.

This looks like the worst yet . . .
Dave - you could have voted "working/staying at home"! I tried to cover all options with that, not just those going to work but I guess the title skews it. Sorry, that was unintentional. I was interested in how many would avoid going out in it.

·
Administrator
47,052 Posts
Not working this week anyway. Was thinking of going to the cinema though. Might not bother now I've looked outside!

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
No snow here yet.

If it did snow it would depend on the snow.

All I can say is that if I crashed my car on the snow trying to get to work then the company wouldn't pay for it, so that would influence my decision.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I work mostly at home anyway, so no big change for me, though I'm avoiding any non-essential journeys, my car hasn't moved for 4 days (wife's has!). We haven't seen a flake of snow yet, but have had big problems with black ice, lots of accidents and road closures, the little country lanes are lethal. I don't think my 159 would be all that good on 18"s, so I won't be risking it unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I made it in but left when 2 inches came down in 15 mins. Had a really scary drive home and lost all the electronic driver aids within a mile of my office:eek:

·
Registered
37,956 Posts
Not too bad here, althought they did blow up the town centre to contribute to warming the place up and stopping the traffic! :lol:

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
I'm with Zed on this... we stocked up the larder today. And we've got
enough logs to last 'til Feb (I hope). Shovel parked by the back
door. Spider snug in the garage. Ford can cope outside....

Roll on Spring :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
At 10 o clock this morning this is what the snow was like, it has been snowing steadily all day with no let up, my footsteps have now got another couple of inches of snow in them.

I'm going nowhere

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
It is snowing here now..

Looks like the drive home will be great fun. :(

G

·
I'm starting work tomorrow at 04:11. If I wake to find the weather that's been forecast, given that I'll be on my motorbike (no car atm). I'll be phoning in work - if they want me in, they can get me a taxi.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts