Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm climbing Snowdon with a bunch of pals in May.

I have purchased some new walking boot things. Took them out for a test run twice over the weekend walking the hound over some local hills. No blisters, quite comfy.

Bit of an ache in the old left knee this morning so need to strengthen that up.

Anyone walked Snowdon recently? Just how fit do I need to be?

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you're doing the normal paths up, then you'll be fine. Don't do Crib Goch though unless you're a bit experienced as it can be very scary and dodgy in parts. For most of it you are on a 600ft sheer drop knife edge. That's after a good 900ft (IIRC) vertical ish scramble. Me and my mates normally camp at the bottom of this vertical climb on a nice saddle on the Friday, then do the Crib Goch and horseshoe on the other side on the Saturday and camp out in the cut out gulley on the Saturday night on the way down. The normal paths are non technical and literally just paths so easy if you just take your time. First time I did Crib Goch I had a 25kg bergen on and was shitting it in the wind. Once down to 10kg on further trips, I was loving it.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you're doing the normal paths up, then you'll be fine. Don't do Crib Goch though unless you're a bit experienced as it can be very scary and dodgy in parts. For most of it you are on a 600ft sheer drop knife edge. That's after a good 900ft (IIRC) vertical ish scramble. Me and my mates normally camp at the bottom of this vertical climb on a nice saddle on the Friday, then do the Crib Goch and horseshoe on the other side on the Saturday and camp out in the cut out gulley on the Saturday night on the way down. The normal paths are non technical and literally just paths so easy if you just take your time. First time I did Crib Goch I had a 25kg bergen on and was shitting it in the wind. Once down to 10kg on further trips, I was loving it.
We will be strolling up the Llanberis trail. Driving over Friday - staying in a B&B Friday night (few pints) - walking up (and down) on Saturday followed by dinner and a few pints Saturday night and home on Sunday.

Crib Goch sounds a little out of my league..... :-0

·
Registered
149 Posts
That sounds like a nice day out tbh! Crib Goch is for the serious nutters. It helped me get over my fear of heights- that and spending the next weekend jumping off the big viaduct on Dartmoor near 42 Commando base (about 30-40m...?)and down Devil's Leap. After a lot of convincing I took a mate up Cribby and he was even more scared of heights than I was. He bricked it, but he did it and the sense of achievement on his face was priceless. Worth all the fear. He said he'd never do it again but so glad he did. Have a look up to your right on the way up and you'll see it. Mate of mine came on a trip once and he bottled it and took the Watkin trail (IIRC) and he was an Airbourne Ranger with three combat jumps on his belt and even he was too scared, but at least he had the balls to admit it.

Have a great time and hope that there's no cloud as the view up the top is to die for.

·
Administrator
45,074 Posts
I went up Snowdon as a teenager with school. No idea what route, but there was a section we had to scramble up a steep scree slope.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
... there was a section we had to scramble up a steep scree slope.
I rather hope we have to do a (little) bit of this. I need it to be sufficiently different from a walk round Richmond Park to make it sound like we "did" something - but not so different that I end up in A&E

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
I rather hope we have to do a (little) bit of this. I need it to be sufficiently different from a walk round Richmond Park to make it sound like we "did" something - but not so different that I end up in A&E
I think the 3,000 ft climb element will probably take care of that on its own! :D
Sounds like a nice outing with (hopefully) just the right amount of challenge (y)

·
Premium Member
77,152 Posts
Llanberis is the family friendly version, but it's still uphill. And it is a serious mountain. Wrap up. Sunny at the bottom can be v cold at the top. Hope the clouds stay away.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
llanberis is the easist path, but stuff very tough, its usually 10 degress colder at the top due to the wind

we went up in aurgust and could see a thing all the way up and down

make sure your footwhere are well broken in

you can buy cider at the top !

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
llanberis is the easist path, but stuff very tough, its usually 10 degress colder at the top due to the wind

we went up in aurgust and could see a thing all the way up and down

make sure your footwhere are well broken in

you can buy cider at the top !
Don't like the sound of "very tough" !! - Can you flag down the train and get on it halfway up? And by "flag down" I mean lay on the tracks.... and by halfway I mean just outside the car park.

·
Administrator
45,074 Posts
As a fit 15 year old I don't remember finding it tough at all. Ah, how we don't realise in our youth how good we have it! It'd probably near kill me these days.

Mind you, I did it in my dad's hiking boots which didn't fit perfectly. Every step on the way down resulted in my big toe thudding against the front of the shoe. That wasn't very pleasant by the time we got to the bottom...

·
Registered
149 Posts

That's the one you should do if you want it to be easy enough that it's not dangerous but interesting enough to say 'you did it' .Llanberris is a straight walk up and rather boring imho. This loop is much more exciting and much much better views. It's easy enough as long as you can just keep putting one foot in front of the other. The steep climb bit is zig zagged so not so bad.

This is my route I mentioned. Don't do it just yet, but you could build up to it in future as the beauty of Snowdon will drag you back...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts