Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now i now that there are some areas of the country that are truly blighted by the snow, but here in South Devon we have a sprinkling, 2 inches at the very most

As a result we have 80% of the schools closed, total gridlock and people being sent home from work on 'health and safety grounds' :rolleyes: oh please!!!!!

WTF have we come to when we cannot cope with a few inches of snow, there are parts of the worlds that are covered in snow and ice for 6 months of the year, but they still manage to push on with life.....

By the end of the day all the snow will be gone from South Devon and we will be back to cold and fresh weather

·
Premium Member
42,814 Posts
nice little rant Jay :D

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now i now that there are some areas of the country that are truly blighted by the snow, but here in South Devon we have a sprinkling, 2 inches at the very most

As a result we have 80% of the schools closed, total gridlock and people being sent home from work on 'health and safety grounds' :rolleyes: oh please!!!!!

WTF have we come to when we cannot cope with a few inches of snow, there are parts of the worlds that are covered in snow and ice for 6 months of the year, but they still manage to push on with life.....

By the end of the day all the snow will be gone from South Devon and we will be back to cold and fresh weather
Pretty much all the schools in Greater Manchester are shut but we have had a fair bit more than a couple of inches. I'm a firm believer that if the weather is genuinely severe, it is far better to stay at home than adopt an "I'm so important, I must get to work at all cost" approach. None of us really want to freeze to death in the car and the emergency services are already stretched. However, if the weather isn't severe (and a couple of inches doesn't count as severe), then we should just get on with it.

There are lots of countries which have snow and ice all year round but I suspect that, because they are used to it, they just deal with it better. Part of that is accepting that things go a bit awry and you can't moan when the shop has no bread or you're 10 minutes late.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if we were 3 feet under snow and there were blizzards then i would understand, but this is pathetic, we have 40% of the local business closing early because of this and staff not being able to turn up for work :rolleyes:

Keith, having seen what's happening in the north i can understand that people are not able to turn up for work, but you have it a lot worse than we do, fair do's, and the same for the schools as well

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone from my place of work called in this morning, saying they couldn't get in because of the snow on the roads. He only lives about 5 mins drive from me......must have had his own little micro climate going on :lol:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Us up here 'the real north of England' :lol: have had a lot of snow and we don't get a mention on the news its been white since mid December

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
here Jay...it was only a couple of inches but it did seem to be slightly "fluffier" than normal...:lol:...if its good enough for Eurostar !!...:lol:

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
No snow here and yet the local comp was closed :confused:

The next county along - where I work - all public transport stopped. Schools closed. Health and Safety. Litgation companies to blame IMHO :rant:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Schools have closed in snow for years. It's nothign new. I remember my school closing for a few days back inthe 80's, and the current snow is far worse than it was back then (It's probably among the worst I've seen in my life in places)

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Schools have closed in snow for years. It's nothign new. I remember my school closing for a few days back inthe 80's, and the current snow is far worse than it was back then (It's probably among the worst I've seen in my life in places)
No snow here though HST and yet the local comp was closed :confused:

Where I work, when we've had snow we've still gone in (aprt from this year and that was due to the bus companies dictating the school close early)

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
I only rememeber not going to school when the heating broke, smow was normal in the 1970s

only 15 schools in Birmingham open today and we only had 4 inches of snow! Crazy

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only rememeber not going to school when the heating broke, smow was normal in the 1970s

only 15 schools in Birmingham open today and we only had 4 inches of snow! Crazy
4 inches?....Torbay would have ground to a halt:cheese:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What annoys me are the morons that panic. Why the hell have people down here in the south been panic buying bread, milk and "essentials" :rolleyes: It's bloody stupid!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What annoys me are the morons that panic. Why the hell have people down here in the south been panic buying bread, milk and "essentials" :rolleyes: It's bloody stupid!
Oh that is a whole separate thread that is.....

We live on an estate with about 4/500 houses, we have a Tesco express at the bottom of the road that services the estate...

By 2pm it was sold out of
Milk
Bread
Eggs
Certain brands of cigarettes
Toilet rolls

What the hell were people thinking if i walked for 2 or 3 miles i am in the centre of Plymouth :rolleyes:

talking to some of these people you would genuinely believe that the world was coming to an end and we were all going to freeze to death and be cut off from civilisation

Needless to say the manager at the store was loving it because his profits have gone skyward this week

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
talking to some of these people you would genuinely believe that the world was coming to an end and we were all going to freeze to death and be cut off from civilisation
You wonder what they would do if there was a real crisis.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Did my normal weekly shop today and saw some people panic buying the worrying thing is they had about 50 bog rolls in their trolley and a little bit of food :confused:

Weve had about 4 inches here and at work my department is the only one where everyone of us made it in :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Are you trying to tell us that it's not the end of the world then ? :rolleyes:

News item on the radio today "A star many light years away may explode and WE WILL ALL DIE" :rolleyes:, except when they interviewed an expert he basically laughed at their stupid panic reaction. :lol:
Stupid **** presenter then said "but we get many near misses with stars" how f-ing dumb are some people.
Maybe I should start a rant thread :lol:

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
haha they're panic-buying round here as well, all the local convenience stores are out of 'the basics' :lol: i just hopped in the car earlier and drove to the main tesco 2 miles away instead. yeah it was -4c, yeah the roads were a bit iffy, but it was ace - everywhere was deserted and the shelves were overflowing with everything :lol:

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yep, mentioned on the other "snow" thread but just one inch of snow here in Blackpool yesterday but schools closed before lunchtime (by which time it had stopped snowing anyway), 100% of schools closed today, and at one point it was the only place in the north of England whose airport was closed according to the news despite almost entirely missing the worst of the weather. Pathetic.

·
Registered
17,042 Posts
i 'panic bought' in as much as...'heck, if i need the usual lunch and meals over the next three days, what would i buy?' - so i got pasta, soup, bread, tea, coffee, some steaks, cheese...

GOSH - this is what i'd buy normally; but you'd think it was a procurement mission to match the end of the world!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts