Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend most of my time on this forum sorting problems out with my car or reading about others problems!....but something positive

My 156 was brilliant in the snow today. Sent home from work at 11 when the snow here was at it's worst my Alfa got me home at the top of the hill where I live. The Focus that followed me home couldn't make the hill but my car managed to slip and slide all the way to the top. Pretty touch and go mind you.

Not bad for a car that is booked in Monday for a new MAF, variator (and belts etc) and spark plug change!

How does an one else find their Alfa's in the snow?

C

·
0 Posts
tbh i leave it and use my trusty old saab.i have used it but have a fear of sliding uncontrolably and pranging it.it is my bella after all:).we have no snow yet but i hear thats all about to change.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Not really taken her out in the snow but have done on icey roads - wasn't very good she locked up as i went to turn the corner and ended up up the curb :eek:

·
Registered
38,919 Posts
The GTV is useless.

I am currently using the Fiat, as it is much better. (No ABS so it stops better) and if I do put it in the hedge it doesn't matter as much.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The GTV is useless.
Snow far snow good.:D Sorry, couldn't resist that.

The MiTo has been fine so far and we have been up to our knees in snow and ice for nearly three weeks now!

You are right about the GTV Symon. Mine used to take most of the day to thaw out then spend the rest of the day stuck!:cry:

·
Registered
9,592 Posts
Set off on Saturday morning to do the 360 mile run to Aberdeen for a friend's 60th birthday bash - got 100 yards from home and a Focus in front of me slithered to a halt on the hill, causing me to lose momentum in the 164 and stop about 20 yards past him - turned round and took an alternative route, and after a 45 minute trip down the M65 (journey that normally takes 15 minutes), had clear roads until near Dunfermline.......a bit hairy in fresh snow but the old girl kept plodding along, and finally got me to Aberdeen after about 7 hours (including one comfort break at Abington) - not bad in the conditions. Return trip yesterday not too bad apart from a brief snow flurry near the Kirkby Lonsdale junction which caused an easing down from cruising velocity to about 50 as it all went very slippery for a few miles......

She hasn't been too bad despite the (brand-new) budget tyres on her - although they are directional and are c**p on snow/ice in reverse - they seem to be improving after 1000 miles or so, though, so perhaps the release agent just takes a long time to wear off in this weather.....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Mines been fine ........... a bit slthery now and a gain but nothing too dramatic............. I find it's the other numbheads who cause me problems in the snow.

........a mate of mine has a BMW M3 and that is "sh*t-useless" I have to pick him up on the way to work when it snows.

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
mine was good till this morning, when i hit a mound of snow, that dragged its ar$e and i went sideways into a curb at about 10mph:rant::mad: one bent alloy, still driveable though. got me out of the curb and home, no rattles or knocks or scrapes, just a very slightly bent alloy:(

trouble is iv got to get the mrs from work in an hour:rant:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Move the pile of snow aside and there she is!:p:p:p
brilliant :cry::cheese:

........a mate of mine has a BMW M3 and that is "sh*t-useless" I have to pick him up on the way to work when it snows.
ye, went in my mates 3 series on sat and I had to sit in the back to help it grip haha.
and another mate has one who lives near me and we work together, have to drive her to work with even the slightest sign of the white stuff ;)!

mine was good till this morning, when i hit a mound of snow, that dragged its ar$e and i went sideways into a curb at about 10mph:rant::mad: one bent alloy, still driveable though. got me out of the curb and home, no rattles or knocks or scrapes, just a very slightly bent alloy:(

trouble is iv got to get the mrs from work in an hour:rant:
good look mate!
sorry to here about the alloy, sounds likes it's just as bad your side of the pennines

touch wood the 156 has been like a tank in the snow so far, better than my old Fiesta and Dad's A5

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
My 156 has been pretty bad to be fair i finished at 4pm and it had been snowing for around 4 hours, the main roads where fine just abit slushy and my car was fine, but as soon as i entered the car park (im working away) i couldnt get in, even in second gear my front wheels would not grip, luckily i had my mate who helped by pushing me up the very slight incline to my space. Im really looking forward to getting out tomorrow, NOT.

·
Registered
38,919 Posts
My TVR used to be great fun in the snow. :D

To be honest I prefer RWD in the snow. At least when the wheels are spinning you have some steering.

·
Registered
725 Posts
My Bella behaved well today going from Sea Level - Newcastle - to Hill Billy Land - Tantobie :) snow all the way, uphill all the way too!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
good look mate!
sorry to here about the alloy, sounds likes it's just as bad your side of the pennines

touch wood the 156 has been like a tank in the snow so far, better than my old Fiesta and Dad's A5
doesnt sound nice to drive, the wobble i accept, but when i was picking the mrs up, there is a speed related rumble, which in one way is good, as its not drive related, and dissapears when i turn left, but also bad because i now know there is a bit of damage besides the wheel. sounds like i busted the cv joint tbh and probably bent the drive shaft. ill find out tomorrow:(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can't understand people not having any grip with the 156
crap tyres?
remembered to turn ASR off?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts