Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, because its such an expensive option to have winter tyres on a 159 Ti with 19" rims and it may ever snow after all, i was considering the next best option which appears to be snow socks.
Car Snow Socks | WeissSock Anti-Skid Traction Device for Tyre Size : 245 / 40 R19 The Wei (1184406)

I live on a hill and the road at the top tends to be gritted, so its just got to be me out of my drive and up the hill, plus anywhere else i may get stuck.

Anyone had any experience of these snow socks ? How long they last, fitting, grip etc.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You may want to try searching the forum, since this has come up numerous times...

The general opinion is that they work very well, but only in 'proper snow'. Assuming the rest of your typical winter journey is over well gritted roads, they might suit you.

Still not as good as winter tyres though, has to be said. Get some spare rims from eBay, and put winter tyres on them. Safest of all worlds, and only an hour to fit or remove twice a year.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
1. Mate of mine had some snow socks - not sure of the brand. They worked well last year in the snow
2. On snow they are ok - if you leave them on once you hit tarmac they last about 50 metres.
3. Fitting is fiddly rather than hard, but does involve crouching in the snow, getting cold and wet and shuffling the car backwards and forwards
4. Grip on snow is good, equivalent to winter M+S tyres and better than most 4WD vehicles that are fitted with high performance summer tyres.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had winters last year on a mini cooper, Nokians i think, and they were good. But with the Ti there is a 17" rim minimum limit and even then, some alloys even though they fit a 159 may not go over the Ti front calipers.
So its risky bidding on a set of rims unless you know for sure they will fit a Ti.
I may have a go with the snow socks then just for this year. Only gonna cost £50.

·
Registered
946 Posts
They work well but are incredibly difficult to fit to a Ti as you cannot get your hand in-between the tyre and the arch. The good news is you only need to put one on to get you out of most situations.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Elfred, i went outside to look and yes it would be a bit of a problem. I have decided to wait until desperate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts