Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming Kent and Essex will not suffer snow like last year, I am considering some snow socks just in case my assumption is wrong. Has anybody got experience of them?

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
I haven't got direct experience with them but I did a fair amount of research last year, my conclusion was that they are good for only 1 or 2 "emergency" situations (reading between the lines of the advertising) ... for this reason I bought chains as they are about the same price and will last a lot longer.

I've since seen that you can get "snow ropes" basically they are put on the same as chains but are a lot lighter and not freezing cold!!!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
have never used or even seen them. they seem like a novelty. are they supposed to be an improvement on winter tyres or snow chains?

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts
They are not an everyday replacement for winter tyres, more of a "get me home" solution. They can also be used on wheels which aren't compatible with snow chains as less clearance is required.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I haven't got direct experience with them but I did a fair amount of research last year, my conclusion was that they are good for only 1 or 2 "emergency" situations (reading between the lines of the advertising) ... for this reason I bought chains as they are about the same price and will last a lot longer.
Your conclusion is wrong. We've used ours several times and one set has had well over a hundred of miles of driving on snow. They have not deteriorated at all. Damn sight more convenient than show chains.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I got a pair after the snow in 2009/10 They were great to get me up and down a couple of steep hills until I got to the main road.Bit a phaff to put on although with practice gets easier. JUst make sure that not wearing decent clothes as bit tight in the wheel arch!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Assuming Kent and Essex will not suffer snow like last year, I am considering some snow socks just in case my assumption is wrong. Has anybody got experience of them?
My direct experience is that they are quick to deliver and they fit nicely in the pocket of the boot door in my freelander. Not sure I'd be able to get them back so nicely in the pack once I've used them though!

I bought them because I live on a country lane with some steep hills. I would envision using them until I got to the main road, then removing them and carrying on the rest of the journey without. As I'd have to take chains off at the same point anyway, and there's no chance of any of the 5 miles of that road being cleared it makes sense to me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts