Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit embarrasing this one... I live on a hill and couldn't get up it this morning in my 2.2 JTS. Got in my wife's automatic Golf instead and no problem at all. The Alfa's still at the bottom looking sheepish. Any thoughts on getting some grip? I would have thought with a heavier front end it would be easier to drive in the snow???

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
The grip is limited by the "sporty" tyres Alfa fit.

Check out the snow traction thread;)

·
Registered
841 Posts
I got stuck in mine yesterday in works car park which was solid ice and had a slight hill to get up. Lots of other cars had no problem. Usual trick of low revs, high gear, disengage ASR and rocking the car worked for nearly everyone but not the 159. I suppose if you Combine a 1600kg car with 19" low profile tyres and very little grip and its a problem. Had to dig it out in the end and get a couple of people to push me up the hill :)

Oh and of course the car is heavier but that means you need more traction on ice which outweighs the extra downforce on the tyres im afraid.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
If it's front wheel drive try setting off in 2nd gear nice and gentle.

If it's rear wheel drive..... reverse up the hill like Roy suggested

If neither of those work.... take the day off :D

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
That's wierd. My Brera on 18"s is handling beautifully in the snow and pulling up and down wills with no problem. The wife's Spider LE on 19"s struggled on icy hills nd lost control on roads. Can there be such a huge difference betweent he two sizes or is it just that the Spider's front tyres are more worn than the Breras?

Seems a lot of people on 19" TI rims are struggling...

·
Registered
934 Posts
My Ti SW 2.4 is not bad on its 19" rims... certainly better than my old jag S Type Sport ... auto low profiles, RWD ..etc ...

Its got a lot to do with tyres of course, worn ones will not help. Also with how good the driver is with clutch control and steering inputs. I usually use as high a gear as possible, keep the revs down to almost stalling point .. i've not been stuck yet. (Famous last words)

My wifes Audi A5 is horrible to drive in the snow! and its trick frameless windows seize up in cold weather ...

Cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Since the snow first fell mid December I've came to accept that my 159 ti isn't great in icey/snowy conditions. It's better than all BMW's though so I'm cool with it LOL.
BUT...........
Today I was driving South on the A1 past Durham and there was ice on the road. My car's rear tyres started snaking from side to side as if it was tramlining and was skidding in and out of the tracks.
TBH I couldn't see any tracks in the road but I found it extremely worrying when it happened. I've never had this happen on a car before, but then, I've never had 19" wheels on a car either. Anyone else had this happen? I was a little concerned incase the tracking wasn't right. Is it normal?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Summer tires are simply not designed to be driven on snow or ice at all. If you can get a set of winter tires I recommend it as I don't think having stud tires is allowed where you live.

But a great trick is using tar remover! Keep a bottle in the car...if you get stuck, spray some on the driving tires' contact surfaces and see the magic work :)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just had to be towed off a duel carriageway in Middlesbrough the car just would not get up the slip road!!!!
Probably had something to do with not having enough speed off the roundabout as was behind a very slow old guy, knew as soon as the car hit the incline that I was in the S***E!!!! :(
Luckily the brother-in-laws diesel astra van saved the day - albeit it a very scary experience towing in these conditions!!! :)

The Spider has brand new tyres on it - its just crap in this weather - have also felt it snaking like crit71 above - it does not fill you with confidence so looks like I am in the wifes Megane till this lot clears!!!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ive always been advised to turn off the ASR when starting off on snow as it cuts power to the wheels just when you need it! Of course as soon as you are off, turn it back on!

So far, touch wood, I've been fine with all this weather!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Since the snow first fell mid December I've came to accept that my 159 ti isn't great in icey/snowy conditions. It's better than all BMW's though so I'm cool with it LOL.
BUT...........
Today I was driving South on the A1 past Durham and there was ice on the road. My car's rear tyres started snaking from side to side as if it was tramlining and was skidding in and out of the tracks.
TBH I couldn't see any tracks in the road but I found it extremely worrying when it happened. I've never had this happen on a car before, but then, I've never had 19" wheels on a car either. Anyone else had this happen? I was a little concerned incase the tracking wasn't right. Is it normal?
I experienced the same just going over the Tyne on the A1 twice - put it down to icy patches, but it did twitch noticeably. Was 3:30 4ish this afternoon. The road looked dry, but I don't think it was.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
have to admit mine is pretty poo in this weather - 235 18's on summer tyres just don't agree with the laws of winter physics i'm afraid

take it easy out there folks :thumbs:

U

·
0 Posts
I experienced the same just going over the Tyne on the A1 twice - put it down to icy patches, but it did twitch noticeably. Was 3:30 4ish this afternoon. The road looked dry, but I don't think it was.
If the back wheels slide out of line with the fronts, by being deflected in ruts, its quite possible that the yaw sensor of the VDC will apply braking forces to individual wheels to keep everything in a straight line. Maybe its that you can feel?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
If the back wheels slide out of line with the fronts, by being deflected in ruts, its quite possible that the yaw sensor of the VDC will apply braking forces to individual wheels to keep everything in a straight line. Maybe its that you can feel?
Maybe...never thought to try switching it off tbh.
It was so bad it stopped me going to Wetherby today.
It didn't feel much like correction to me mind.....it wasn't a pleasant experience at all.
I must remember to switch VDC off the next time I experience it. Just to see if it improves.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Low profile tires are more stable given that the road surface is smooth and regular. Snow makes an unsmooth surface and lots of irregularities and low profiles have less adjustability to match with the irregularities so they don't work well together.

You can think of low profiles as a very short suspension travel. A car with short suspension is not good off-road where the road surface is rough. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts