Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, with recent snow, was thinking about investing, don't think chains fit due to clearance, issues, options seem to be crampons or spikes or these new "snow socks", has anyone got any experience of any of these with a GT on 18's?

If weather like this becomes more frequent may be better to get some cheap steel rims and snow tyres, but that don't help if you get stuck somewhere with the alloys on!

Apparently I can't keep taking the wife's land rover (or so she tells me :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hi

I bought some snowsocks for an aborted trip to Germany, when the snow came in december I thought I'd get a chance to try them out...Troop out to the car then realise that I couldn't get my hand between the gap between the tyre and wheel arch so they are impossible to fit if you've got lowered suspension unless you jack the car up first..Not easy in 6 inches of snow..

I've come the conclusion that i'll probably buy a cheap set of wheels and stick winter tyres on..

Kendal

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,191 Posts
What KendalBeefcake says: you won't be able to fit anything to 18's as there just isn't any room.

The socks, in general, are less performant on ice and packed snow than are chains. Good winter tires on a smaller, narrower rim will largely suffice in the UK (except maybe up North). Don't know about spikes - never used those apart from on a rental in Stockholm last year.

I'm running 215/45 R17 Pirelli's in summer myself, 185/65 R15 Michelin Alpins from December through March. Those hardly ever get chains fitted even when driving in the Alps in winter.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah chains' dont clear the steering bits and bobs on lock, so its spikes with hub mounts or the snow socks it seems. I don't have lowered suspension, and I have a Diesel (sits higher than the V6) so sock will go on, just wondered what they are like, not used one myself.

Agree steel wheels and some winter tyres are best, but its storage and also getting stuck somewhere with wrong tyres that's the problem with this approach.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
The socks, in general, are less performant on ice and packed snow than are chains. Good winter tires on a smaller, narrower rim will largely suffice in the UK (except maybe up North). Don't know about spikes - never used those apart from on a rental in Stockholm last year.
I'm sure you can't use spikes in the UK, but they would be worse than useless as soon as you got to a main road without a covering of ice anyway.

Skinny winter tyres are the ideal.
A GT V6 still needs 17" rims to clear the 330mm brakes unless you splash out on some very fancy 16" rims with extra brake clearance designed in.
For everything else 15" are perfect in the winter.

·
Regional Representative, For United Arab Emirates
1991 Spider Veloce S4, 2003 156 GTA, Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari
438 Posts
Was thinking the socks but don't understand the concept behind them. Does anybody know if they'd be any good and had any experience of them?

G

·
Socks are pretty rubbish and you need a good covering of snow for them to work.

Also they do not conform to all countries' regs about snow chain requirements
and are therefore useless in places like France as the Gendarmes won't let you
up into snowbound ski resorts or over mountain passes with them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have lots of experience with them, driving in and around the French Alps for several weeks each winter. Last year we had a very heavy storm pass through overnight, which dumped massive amounts of snow and caused problems for people getting in and out of the village. Fortunately I was parked in an underground car-park and drove straight out once the snow-plough guys had been through and reopened the access road.
My Alfa's got lowered ('sport-pack') suspension, so chains weren't an option. The Flo-Tex wheel socks are amazingly good in/on snow, but like chains, you'll clap them out once you're back on tarmac.
I can *just* about slip my fingers between the tyres and the arch-seals, and the elastic seems to centre things as you begin to roll (slowly at first).
They're so light that I keep them in the boot all year (might just work in mud, although I haven't had to put this to the test). Only things is, remember (like chains) to clean them after use, as they'll be gunked up with salt and stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the K-Summit Konig chains.

These things are amazing, so easy to fit and take off the the kit that they come with is great with tools and spare parts. Yes they are expensive but they do fit a lot of different sized tyres. Clearance is the biggest issue with normal chains, these fit without any issues, I have a sports pack on my 156 and these work. I have been using them every weekend in france since december. They make life very easy! Just been to the mountains for the weekend and lots of powder, chains worked a treat! I looked at socks but was worried they would not be as good and chafe on the shock.

Mark

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bought some snow socks for the wife's Rover 75 - they're ferking magic. Work a treat on hard packed ice, snow, slush, or any mix thereof. With her big fat tyres she was going nowhere on the slightest hint of an icy slope and they completely transform the car. Well worth 38 quid delivered off ebay - I'm getting some for my 156 now as well. They are just as easy to put on/take off as advertised and simply work with no hassle at all. Get some good waterproof gloves though!

·
Regional Representative, For United Arab Emirates
1991 Spider Veloce S4, 2003 156 GTA, Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari
438 Posts
Thanks guys, if I can get them on Ebay for that price, (ish) I may try them. Only for the UK really as I'm sick of being stuck in the house when it snows due to the hill I live on.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe the law states you are not allowed to use anything that would damage the road surface, hence studded tyres are out as you cannot remove them when the conditions improve. Chains would not be an issue on hard packed snow, but again you could come undone if your driving on just tarmac with them, but by then they would probably have destroyed themselves anyway! I would assume removable studs are ok based on the fact you can remove them.

Chains are really just for untreated roads once your stuck, the way things are at the moment as icy sludge, can't see it helping much.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I agree with comments about the need to remove chains, etc. once you're off the snow - I saw a chain come off last winter while in the Alps, after it had clapped out on tarmac. Expensive mistake!
After use we just pop the socks into hot soapy water to clean the salt and other gunk out, then air-dry them outside. It's probably not a good idea to leave them wet in the boot for too long, for fear of rotting them.
Paid around 45 euros for mine in nearby (French) supermarket - and said goodbye to shivering in icy darkness while struggling to fit chains!

·
Registered
510 Posts
I was thinking down the route of a cheap set of alloys and winter tyres, fitting them around late November and taking them off around March. I had been worried about running them on tarmac, but a taxi driver I spoke to in Germany last month reckons it's ok to do this.

I've currently got 18" alloys on but wondered whether reducing to 17" or 16" would be better? Current tyre width is 225mm, which I recon is too wide. Possibly reduce to 205mm?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
I've currently got 18" alloys on but wondered whether reducing to 17" or 16" would be better? Current tyre width is 225mm, which I recon is too wide. Possibly reduce to 205mm?
If you want a winter tyre then you could even go down to 15"
15" tyre sizes would be 185/65R15 or 205/60R15. 195/65R15 are also usable
16" would be 205/55R16

The 3.2V6 can't go below 17" though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks David C. It's a shed load of money to lay out, but maybe would prevent high cost damage though skidding

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
s/h 15" alloys don't fetch much, so should be available without spending too much.
as for tyres, generally the smaller the rim, the lower the cost, so 15" wins again!

Won't do much for the appearance of the car, but they will be a lot better in snow than your current 18"

If you went to 17", you could use 205/50R17

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,191 Posts
If you went to 17", you could use 205/50R17
But you'd still be unable to fit chains if the conditions should call for it (skiing trip in France anyone?)
Thinner is better too - 185/65 R 15 I reckon!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts