Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
You don't have 12mm of clearance so no chance to fit chains. As above, see existing topics for options.

Use some decent winter tyres and you won't have any problems
Except you can't get any this size so you need different wheels too.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Or 'invest' (about £70 delivered for the size to fit 17" - 19") in a set of these : Autosock the Company: AutoSock/Auto Sock/Auto Socks . We got them for both the 159 and the 147 and they are brilliant, :thumbs:. For a few days there, our Alfas were the only cars other than 4x4s to make it up the hill to our village. Dead easy to fit and remove - takes less than a minute. :)

M

·
0 Posts
I dont understand why these are ok but you can not use chains... its states in the handbook not to use chains on 17R and above but there is enough space for auto sock or easy grip, easy grip take up the same space as a chain surely... Maybe not enough for the old 12mm chains of past but the Thule CG-9 9mm chain fits with plenty of space on 225/50 17R 159 SW

Anyone know why it states chains can not be used when they fit and does not foul anything?

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Anyone know why it states chains can not be used when they fit and does not foul anything?
Obviously because there isn't enough clearance.
A gap doesn't mean there is sufficient clearance.
Edit: I think you have read it wrong. I don't have a manual handy, but I'm sure it says that chains can be used on the 17".

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
Just checked.
The exact wording for the 17" is:
"Tyres that cannot be fitted with traditional snow chains. Only “spider” type chains can be used."

So "Spider" type chains are fine, what ever they are!

M

·
0 Posts
Usually the issue with snow chains is clearance at the back of the wheel between the tire and the metal, there is enough room to get fingers between the gap which is more than enough for slim 9 or 7mm chains... I would think self adjusting chains would be fine.. if you have lateral movement they can't be fitted correctly... handbook is probably over cautious or just old compared to modern chains that are available... those spiders are £300, you could nearly get replacement steel wheels and winter tires on 16R plus cheap set of chains for £400

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Londonthing

Just to add my experience...I had the factory 18inch wheel option on my 159 3.2. I successfully sourced and fitted special maggi tracks for performance cars that ran centrally over the tire rather than around it, so there was no interference with the wheel arch when turning. With those 18inch wheels I was left with an inch and a half of clearance - not al lot, but enough. Presumably the 19inch wheels will run with lower profile tires than on my 18inch thus potentially making it possible. I still have the snow chains if you want to try it.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
On 225/50R17 I use low profile 7mm Pewag Servo Sport chains: pewag - PKW Schneeketten pewag servo. Me and the seller (main dealer of Pewag in Poland) tried to fit them first on the car and carefully inspected all distances etc - all looked very safe/fine. I used it a few times last year to access nordic skiing course base on the summit of one of nearby mountain, and had no issues with it (very steep and curly road)

Spider type would be e.g. this I think, even video shown on AR159 17" wheels: QUATTRO | Weissenfels

I do not think there is safe solution for 18 or 19" wheels, maybe if the winter tyre (if you use such) you buy bit narrower (and so at the same profile it will be bit smaller wheel diameter), then low profile or spider chains woudl be also OK?

·
Registered
132 Posts
hi even though i have 16s i have socks instant of chains.... way better than chains... only minus is that you have to take them of as soon as athe snow ends or you will destroy them.... socks have better feeling on the wheel, and to terrible noise.. faster putting on..and maybe easier to fit... I have tested them in emergency snow condition and they really saved my a.. !!!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
On previous 159 I had 16" winter tyres, and for these I used Pewag Snox - super easy to wear on - it there is nothing to attach together, just put it on (hard to explain for me, best see video here pewag - passenger car snow chain pewag snox pro). They did very well for a few years I used them to get to cross coutry ski course nearby I live. But snox has I think 11mm thick elements on the back of tyre, and this is I think issue for 17" 225 tyres (safe clearance), thats why on currrent 17" I use more classical, but low profile (7mm) chains I mentioned 3 posts earlier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts