Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite having a Road Angel Plus, I've bought one of these nifty devices for £90 in readiness for our European driving holiday in June as it has Worldwide coverage via the Aura database. Subscription costs £30 a year. Early impressions are excellent with the exception of the rather floppy & fiddly joystick:eek: Will do a side by side comparison and report back soon:D Cheers, Simon.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Despite having a Road Angel Plus, I've bought one of these nifty devices for £90 in readiness for our European driving holiday in June as it has Worldwide coverage via the Aura database. Subscription costs £30 a year. Early impressions are excellent with the exception of the rather floppy & fiddly joystick:eek: Will do a side by side comparison and report back soon:D Cheers, Simon.
Oh cool, I didn't know these things were still legal? Let us know what you think, I'm quite keen to get one if they're legal. Would like a single box rather than a few if possible, but don't mind a small annual subscription :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:tut:eek:r just drive within the speed limit (just like I do with my nice clean license :D)

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Ah but the devices will HELP him to drive within the speed limits on unfamiliar roads...
Isn't that what speed limit signs and a speedo is for??? :confused:

J

·
0 Posts
just be careful as some foreign police dont take too kindly to those things being used....

Have a good holiday:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
just be careful as some foreign police dont take too kindly to those things being used....

Have a good holiday:thumbs:
And the fine for even having it in the car let alone using it will prob be more than the fine for speeding.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still 100% legal as the are GPS locators:cool:

UK.gov tried to ban the laser detectors too but this got scrapped but foreign Police don't like detectors (generally, locators are fine).

They point our Blackspots, Level Crossings & Schools too so they are not just there to help you stick to the limits (speed & not get caught:lol:).

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Interesting to know how you get on Simon.

My Road Angel is the only reason I haven't been pulled up in court. :eek:

The active radar/laser detector has been VERY useful ;) Those pesky mobile jobbies and sneaky cops with windows wound down...;)

·
Registered
37,528 Posts
I had an older type Snooper laser/Radar detector a few years back. It was utter rubbish.

It was forever getting false alarms, and on the one occasion I did get a correct alarm the radar gun was already being pointed at the car. :rolleyes:

Luckily I wasn't speeding.

I also used to work at a fibreoptic/laser company, so I decided to test the laser part. Despite the detection wavelength being 980nm and me using a 980nm laser shined straight at the sensor it didn't go off.

Unless they have dramatically improved over the last couple of years I wouldn't bother personally.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my RA+ has been generally excellent but I think that as a company and database, RA has been left behind by Snooper and others. You need to remember that there are not detectors, just GPS locators using a database of known sites and High Risk areas. The RA+ has a laser detector but as is said, there are nigh on useless!

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my RA+ has been generally excellent but I think that as a company and database, RA has been left behind by Snooper and others. You need to remember that there are not detectors, just GPS locators using a database of known sites and High Risk areas. The RA+ has a laser detector but as is said, there are nigh on useless!
I retract this statement:eek:

The Snooper is small & neat but it's too quiet, has poor contrast, doesn't display your speed & the limit speed at the same time when you get a warning and worst of all, it didn't work in Europe at all (it showed the speed in KM's but didn't locate anything:mad:

I'm pushing for a full refund as it did not work as advertised:(

As an aside, my 3 year old RA+ died and was deemed uneconomic to repair.

Road Angel therefor upgraded me to a new professional connected and it's excellent.

Shame I didn't heed its warnings on the M4 last Friday evening:eek:

I'm still awaiting the NIP one week on:cry:

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
:tut:eek:r just drive within the speed limit (just like I do with my nice clean license :D)
I'm with you on this 156Chris. No need to spend loads of dosh on electronics. If you match the speed on your speedo reading with that displayed on the round disc sat on top of a stick at the side of the road you will be fine. And anyone who says they dont always see them, then you have another problem, your not paying attention.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts