Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from my skiing trip (very nice weather in france :) ), and found out that my now week old bella already has a scratch!

I've only driven it for one day (snif).
It is a 20-30cm (!) long scratch on the left thigh of my Bella (near the boot).
It is not a really deep scratch, but it is totally annoying. Is there any way to polish things up a bit?

regards,
Cornelis

PS: just filled her up for the first time, got 891 km on the first filling, but I almost emptied it (57 litres :) ). average consumption sofar: 1 litre per 15.6 km
maximum speed achieved: about 170 km/h, 3000 rpm :)
She drives like a dream!

·
Registered
366 Posts
You can try to use a scratch remover like GS27. I'm very happy with that one, helped me out a couple of times already. (regarding bird**** wink and other stuff)
Don't know about polishing ... :confused:
When could you get your car polished??
I mean, it can't be very good for the paint to get it polished to much, can it????

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Sorry to hear that Cornelis :(

Gunny, I just ordered the GS27-kit. I hope it does miracles for me too wink

I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Good for you Mel! :cool:

You'll see that it will remove the mark of the bird... (even small scratches => door handles, trunk, ...)
Just rub and wipe off... :D

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
gunny,

Thanx for the tip my friend! I hope I'll receive it before the meeting in April wink Then I could show up with a beautiful BRAND NEW car hihihihihihihi!

·
Registered
366 Posts
If you don't receive it, just let me know.
I'll bring mine to the meeting then, so you can remove that nasty spot... :D

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Mel, where did you order yours?

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:
<strong>Sorry to hear that Cornelis :(

I'll keep you posted!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by LaTiNo156:
<strong>Mel, where did you order yours?

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mel Bonkers:

I'll keep you posted!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm ashamed to say this, but I found it with www.telsell.nl :rolleyes:

As gunny has great experiences with it, I thought I might have a try on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'll keep you posted!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I've just examined the scratch a bit better, it is pretty deep :(. Perhaps I can try some of gunny's stuff at the meeting.
You cannot keep your car entirely scratchfree, it is just too bad that this happened so soon.

greetz,
Cornelis

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
Cornelis,

Sorry to hear about the scratch. This must be such disapointing so soon after delivery. I hope it is fixable without repainting.

Selespeed

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your support guys!

I'll show you the scratch on the 26th of april.
For now I'll try to forget the scratch (hard, very hard) and just enjoy the lovely machine (which is not too hard :) ). After all, looks are not all that important! It's what's inside that matters.

Cornelis

·
Registered
908 Posts
EEEEeeeek,

NOOOOo, you're kidding right?!
Darn, a scratch already. That must hurt.
GS-27 works great. No matter what color. But it is a gentle polishing job.

Did I miss the introduction of your bella, fellow 16V driver?!?
What color did you get? How is she? How do you like her? How's the grinn on your face?
Mine is starting to ache, while it's still there, and it will be for while. :D

Deng

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DengKao:
<strong>EEEEeeeek,

NOOOOo, you're kidding right?!
Darn, a scratch already. That must hurt.
GS-27 works great. No matter what color. But it is a gentle polishing job.

Did I miss the introduction of your bella, fellow 16V driver?!?
What color did you get? How is she? How do you like her? How's the grinn on your face?
Mine is starting to ache, while it's still there, and it will be for while. :D

Deng</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No Deng, you didn't miss me, you just forgot :) (you even sent me a couple of PM's)
No wonder, with that bella on the porch you're very likely to forget other things.
Originally my bella wouldn't have arrived until the 28th of march. It turned out to be earlier, so I picked it up one and a half week ago. Then I went on a skiing trip and upon returning discovered the scratch.
It almost looks like it is part of the lining of the alfa, perhaps the easiest way out of this is reproducing this scratch on the right side as well (ouch, that was painfull to type :) ).

cu on the 26th!

Cornelis

PS: how's your fuel economy sofar? Did you already complete breaking in the engine?

·
Registered
908 Posts
Cornelis,
What I really meant was, did I miss your bella's introduction?! Pics etc.
But now I remember you told me the 28th. So I wasn't on guard wink

Yep my bella's engine is ready. She was within one week. And I must say, my theory works!

It really does. The engine runs beautifully.(see for a full report: DengKao's Bella )

So how are your first 1000 Km's coming on? Tell us about your experience so far. Pls?

My usage is due to my driving style a bit lower. wink

Greetz
Deng

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The driving experiences:

This car is really amazing. While I really liked my previous car (ford focus - old diesel), this car is in a different league. The engine noise is soo much more refined then the ford's.
Also acceleration is fabulous, though the 'push in the back' is less then with some other diesels (eg VW PD engines).
I have to say that the 6th gear is a real driving gear, the acceleration is still pretty good, even if you're only doing 110 km an hour.
Max speed achieved sofar is about 180 km/h (only 32/3300 rpm).
The car is really quiet, but my tires (firestone fs700) are pretty loud.

sound system is pretty ok, though the buttons are a bit tiny, and the tuner reception isn't all that wonderfull (shouldn't this be a RDS radio, that automatically tries to find a stronger transmitter if the signal gets too weak?). I haven't got the bose system, but the music sounds bassy enough for me.

I'm at about 1400 km sofar (4 days driven), and average consumption is about 16 km per liter. I am still going pretty softly on her, though I've been above 4000 rpm (ouch). This was a collegue of mine, who drives a 1.8 156 SW, and wasn't used to shifting up quickly.

I really like the oil-metering after you start the car, this can be really helpfull. Sofar the oillevel is still at the same bar as when I got the machine.
As for pictures, I already took 4 pictures, but they're still being developed (actually, they were ready a week ago, but I haven't had time to pick them up yet :) )
As soon as I get them, I'll scan them and send them to selespeed.

No funny shakes or rattles sofar, there is one thing that I haven't figured out yet. My windscreen wipers should have 5 positions according to the manual. One level up (this one should automatically click back to the normal position and give one wipe), and 3 levels down (interval, normal wipe, fast wipe).
I have only 2 options down (normal wipe, fast wipe) and one option up (which doesn't automatically click back). I presume this is the interval, but it's not working sofar, since I've got the winterpack 2 (rain sensor). It hasn't rained sofar, so I haven't been able to check this theory. I have no interval, though the interval settings are on the lever. Anybody have experiences with this?

anyhow, these are my experiences sofar.

Cornelis

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Great report Cornelis!!
I love the oil graph too - very reassuring!
Not sure about your wipers - don't you press down once, and then twist the end of the stalk to adjust the speed??
Cheers
Rick

·
Registered
182 Posts
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Cornelis Zijlstra:
<strong>The driving experiences:

I presume this is the interval, but it's not working sofar, since I've got the winterpack 2 (rain sensor).
Cornelis</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Cornelius, I have the rain sensor wipers on my 166, I would assume that they work the same on your car. The twist knob on the end of the wiper stalk alters the sensitivity of the rain sensor. Personally, I think the rain sensor is an amazing piece of kit - I never need anything other than the automatic wiper setting and OFF. Love it, though that might perhaps hint that I am easily pleased :)

Martin.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
Cornelis, as you have the rainsensor, this sensor works in conjunction with the intermittent position of your wipers. As it's not raining at the moment, this should explain why you thought you don't have an intermittent position on your wipers. Test it like this: get your self a cup of water. Put your wipers on intermittent. They won't move at all (since you have the rainsensor). Now poor the cup of water over your rainsensor.....et voila! That should do the trick. This is a great way of testing your rainsensor in these sunny days wink

Goed om te horen dat je erg veel plezier hebt van je auto! Treat your bella well.....and she'll treat you well wink

Groetjes!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
<strong>Cornelis, as you have the rainsensor, this sensor works in conjunction with the intermittent position of your wipers. As it's not raining at the moment, this should explain why you thought you don't have an intermittent position on your wipers. Test it like this: get your self a cup of water. Put your wipers on intermittent. They won't move at all (since you have the rainsensor). Now poor the cup of water over your rainsensor.....et voila! That should do the trick. This is a great way of testing your rainsensor in these sunny days wink

Goed om te horen dat je erg veel plezier hebt van je auto! Treat your bella well.....and she'll treat you well wink

Groetjes!</strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Great idea Mel, I'll try it out as soon as I get home!

on a different note: funny thing, normally I like to be in the office for a day, but with the new car I don't want to go to the office, since it's only 30 km's away!!
I want to go visit some customers in Maastricht! (about 200km from Hilversum :) )

Cornelis (currently on site in Rijswijk, which is still about 80 km's from Hilversum)

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's also another way of testing the rain sensor, without using water...
In my dad's Peugeot laughing , also with rainsensor, you just place your finger on the sensor, blocking the sensor.
This way, the system thinks that it is raining a lot and turns on the wipers.

Didn't try this on my bella though: when I bought her, It was already raining... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts