Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
eBay are getting as bad as Ryanair. Their latest idea is compulsory free shipping for items being sold! So, if you're selling something, you either have to absorb the cost, ie. lose money, or pump up the sale price to cover it.

Official explanation? Buyer's like it! Well, yeah, they would but it shouldn't be forced upon sellers. Buyer's can decide who they buy from! :rolleyes:

The real reason? Most sellers will increase their prices to accommodate the 'free' shipping. Which means eBay get more money from the listing fee and more money from the sale fee, both of which are based on the price of the item but exclude the shipping charge...

·
Administrator
23,020 Posts
The real reason? Most sellers will increase their prices to accommodate the 'free' shipping. Which means eBay get more money from the listing fee and more money from the sale fee, both of which are based on the price of the item but exclude the shipping charge...
That sounds about right grrrrr.............

·
Registered
37,347 Posts
I bought a camera case on ebay recently. It was £1.50 plus £4.00 postage.

The seller told me this was to keep their selling fee's down.

It would have cost me the same whether I paid for it that way, or paid £5.50 including postage so I wasn't too bothered.

I assume ebay are trying to curb this fee avoidance, but to be honest everyone looses out except ebay as the price would have been higher for me if the postage has to be free.. :rant:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
:lol: some sellers take the complete micky ... I bought a (still unused) stepping machine for Mrs156 the item cost £1 with £25 P&P :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume ebay are trying to curb this fee avoidance, but to be honest everyone looses out except ebay as the price would have been higher for me if the postage has to be free.
some sellers take the complete micky ... I bought a (still unused) stepping machine for Mrs156 the item cost £1 with £25 P&P
Yeah, this is why eBay are doing it. It's only to benefit their own fees & charges, though. After all, it should be up to the buyer whether they are willing to pay the shipping charges. eBay are just p*ssed off about examples like the above but they are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut by forcing you to give free shipping :mad:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
The only positive, from our POV as sellers, is that it stops the sneaky Hing Kong sellers, who sell the product for peanuts but gross up the carriage apperaing quite as competitive

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I expect a sledgehammer would cost more to ship than a nut......:lol:
:lol: Just imagine having to offer free shipping on a sledgehammer :eek:

The only positive, from our POV as sellers, is that it stops the sneaky Hing Kong sellers, who sell the product for peanuts but gross up the carriage apperaing quite as competitive
Hing Kong? :lol: Surely, only the dumbest customers are taken in by the cheap starting price and collosal shipping charges, though?! In reality, all eBay needed to do was restrict the level of shipping to the amounts genuinely charged by the big companies, such as DHL or UPS. But they obviously thought they'd use this as another excuse to increase revenue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts