Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing belt snapped at 82k miles on my 03 plate 147 1.6. The RAC man says that even if I bought the cam and crank locking tools and replaced the head, the engine probably still wont start. Has anyone had any experience of this? Was only travelling at about 12mph coming off a roundabout into works car park. Am unsure if its just uneconomical to fix or whether I should give it a go. Thoughts please.

·
Vendor
46,342 Posts
Did he give a reason? I can't see why it wouldn't start. It'd be advisable for you to also replace the bottom end bearings as these tend to get flat-spotted by the impact and usually rattle out a few thousand miles afterwards if not replaced. But regardless of that, it should still start if you put a new cylinder head & cambelt kit on it and it was all correctly timed up.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
It's a shame the quality of advice given by these breakdown companies isn't better ... you wonder where they were trained .. Kwikfit? :censored:

If the valves have just been bent, there is no reason why the car won't run again. Like Pud237 says, you really should replace the big-end shells after a belt failure (go the T-shirt .. retro one from 2002!).

Quickest way would be to put a 2nd hand head on it ... but you will need a new head gasket, you might as well put a new water pump on (82K isn't excessive for a TS but you have to do the cambelt again if it does leak), and new cam belt and tensioners. When you get the head off carefully check the head bolts as they can stretch. If you car has never had the head off, they should be OK to re-use.

So it's not a simple job, but satisfying when you turn the key and it starts again! :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts