Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please can anybody help, I have managed to snap the brake caliper bleed nipple off the back brake, does anybody know where I can get brake calipers from second hand or how much it would cost for new ones from unipart or somewhere like thatin the Manchester area? My friend reckons ill just need a new nipple as there softer? Plus ITS 11PM and I have to be up for 5 so havent got time to check caliper now.

Regards
Dale

L

·
0 Posts
Dale, did it snap because it was ceased or because you over tightened it? If the latter the broken part should spin out using a flat headed screw driver, tap it down into the hole & twist it loose. You should be able to buy jst a bleed nipple from any rear claiper of any alfa 147, 156, Gt, GTV, GTA.

if the nipple broke becuase its cease buy a entire caliper form ebay, RGWM [ via PM ] autolusso [ PM PUD237 ] or from a breakers yard, again 147 / 156 / GT should be the same, if from the same year.

what year is your car?

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Or.... slacken the brake pipe and pump fluid through to it,then while its dripping, gently wind in the caliper till the air is pushed out of it,then lock up the pipe. This should get you mobile again but do make sure it's worked and you have a firm pedal before driving.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have managed to get a new nipple today and its not going in atall, Im certain the thread on the caliper for the bleed nipple has been fully goosed. any suggestions?? Please

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have got the old one out and compared the nipple with the new 1 I have got and there is a slight notch on where the thread of the old nipple,( it seems to have a slight wave., ) I have tried the brand new one and it pushes into place but just continues to turn and doesnt grip, I also tried a little pressure pushing down with my finger and turning in hope for it to catch but still no joy?? Is this caliper the same as any other car? Think Im going to have to buy a new 1. Praying not tho as Im skint

L

·
0 Posts
ebay, autolusso, send a PM to RGWM, your local breakers yard [ look up yellow pages ]

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
How did you get the remains of the old nipple out. If it unscrewed then surely you should be able to get a new nipple to screw in even if this means taking the caliper to a garage to get the thread cleaned up. Got to be cheaper than buying a new one ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts