Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So today thought I'd get the plugs changed

Top cover and coilpack came out easy enough ( although some numpty has stripped the thread on the screw that holds the small earth lead in place :mad: ) and first big plug came out easy - plug as expected is knackered - the centre electrode is oval rather than round like the new ones so its definately due for replacement

Move onto the first of the smaller plugs, come out easy enough, new one in done up by hand with just the socket on an extension bar ( no ratchet ) until resistance is felt, then done it maybe just over half a turn with the ratchet on and the sodding plug has snapped off

Pulled the socket out and the plug has come out with it with the electrode intact so its just the metal bit thats left in the head:mad:

I have done a few searches and the general consensus seems to be to blast it with WD40 or penetrating oil, hammer a flat-blade or torx screwdriver in tight and it should just wind out ( as theres no pressure on it ) If this doesnt work its a garage and potentially head-off job :cry:

I did put a smear of grease on the threads before I put it in so hoping it will just wind back out but its chucking down with rain now so probably wont be able to have a look until tomorrow

Can't believe it - when it snapped it was like getting a kick in the nuts. I must have changed hundreds of sparkplugs over the years and never had this happen before. I really didnt put much pressure on it at all - wonder if its a faulty batch ?

Anyone got any other tips/suggestions ?

**EDIT - Its out - screwdriver worked a treat PHEW - will fit the rest tomorrow and just got to hope Halfords or suchlike have one in stock.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The grease may have done it - easy to over-tighten a faster if you lubricate the thread when its not meant to be. Hand tighten then a further 1/4 of a turn with the socket.

·
Vendor
45,470 Posts
Sorry to hear about this, best of luck getting it out. Hope you don't need to take the head off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good to hear you got it out. I had a similar experience recently but luckily I have access to a lathe, so I turned down a bolt so that it would fit down the cente, then cut a slot in the end of it so it fits over the earth electrode and used that to wind it out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
decided i'm gonna fit the rest of the new plugs tomorrow and use the best of the ones i remove to replace the one I broke until I can get another delivered

I've always put a smear of grease on plugs to make them easier to remove in future - will just have to go very easy on fitting:cool:

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Dunno about hand tight....

I got bollocked for that! The pressues they rum at they need to be the correct torque.

Grease will def help.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
ive managed to get broken ones out with a large flat blade screwdriver just the right side to slightly hammer into the rest of the plug and then unscrew. ive saved a few customers £££ that way.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its done - Thankfully a local motor factor had a plug in stock this morning - was very gentle putting the new ones in - on the box it states 1/16 turn to crush the washer and then a further 1/2 turn to tighten - i didnt quite go half a turn but they seem tight enough.

Result - much more low-down power, even smoother running and more power through the whole rev range:cool:

The ones that came out were knackered - the large ones electrodes had gone oval and the contacts had worn meaning the spark was having to jump a massive gap
The secondary plugs were also shagged - centre electrode worn right down

Another good job done:thumbs:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did the same before on my old fiat, luckily I had one of those telescopic arms like old stereo ariels with a magnet on the end which scooped it up for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts