Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Alfisti,

have spent my free afternoon following Sophos9 guide on how to replace the rocker/cam cover gasket! All in relatively easy job with the good instructions/destructions provided by sophos.

Anyways, i was putting things back together and had researched all the torque settings for plugs - cam cover etc and was tightening the cam/rocker cover 9 bolts to 8nm and the very front right hand side bolt snapped!!!!!:eek::cry:

On closer inspection i see that the thread has snapped inside the the lower block and the only solution is i guess to drill it out?

Would any of you guys be able to advise on the best course of action and where would i be able to buy a replacement bolt?

Kind Regards,

H

·
0 Posts
With screw extractors you do need to be careful, they are a hardened steel and can be brittle. They're ideal when extracting the screw from blind hole if particularly the screw hasn't reached the bottom of the hole, if the head has sheared off the bolt then sometimes the load on the thread is released making it an easy process, if the screw stub is tight onto the bottom then there is more friction holding it in and the load remains on the thread. Personally i would try this first, but then I have them to hand, and have used them before with a greater degree of success than failure.
If you try to drill out the bolt you will more than llikely be off centre and catch a side of the thread, both this method and screw extractors require an amount of patience.
You could over drill the hole and helicoil back to the original size.

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Thankfully it was a relatively easy job with a warm engine block 15mins and came with relatively little effort as i was dreading the snap of the extractor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts