Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just noticed this on my 147. Only bought it last week, 2002. At times there is such an excessive amount of smoke coming from the exhaust! Maybe it's just the weather, but it seems way smokier than any other cars on the road. Then when engines off, smoke still comes out. Does this mean it's not engine-related?

It doesn't seem like black smoke, seems more like heat. It doesn't smell either, it's just really smoky! My NCT (MOT) is coming up in a few weeks, don't want to fail on emissions. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
cold weather + hot exhaust = steam

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that's the logical theory. It just seemed to be waaaaay more smokier than anything else on the road, hence my concern :eek:

·
Registered
656 Posts
So I just noticed this on my 147. Only bought it last week, 2002. At times there is such an excessive amount of smoke coming from the exhaust! Maybe it's just the weather, but it seems way smokier than any other cars on the road. Then when engines off, smoke still comes out. Does this mean it's not engine-related?

It doesn't seem like black smoke, seems more like heat. It doesn't smell either, it's just really smoky! My NCT (MOT) is coming up in a few weeks, don't want to fail on emissions. Any thoughts?
What you got Petrol or Diesel?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't checked the engine temp, but the coolant was close to empty on Tuesday, and I filled it up? What does that mean? cheers for the help

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Haven't checked the engine temp, but the coolant was close to empty on Tuesday, and I filled it up? What does that mean? cheers for the help
It means it's going missing, which shouldn't happen...

Probably time to get the engine sniff-tested to see if any combustion gasses are getting into the coolant (head gasket).

Have you looked in the oil filler cap to see if there's any mayonnaise-like residue?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Depends on when you last checked the coolant level. If it was a week ago then there is a problem - 2 years ago and you need to check it more often.

Try to give a bit more info, it helps with the diagnosis.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Basically I bought the car last week. Then engine coolant was close to empty when I bought it. Filled it up on Tuesday. It's not leaking or anything, however I'm not sure how long the previous owner was driving around for with low engine coolant. The Oil filter cap is clean.

·
Registered
82 Posts
to be fair my 2.0 lusso gives out more steam than your average car - but it's just the cold weather.

I was behind a 59 plate BMW 330 earlier today and it was like he has a james bond style smoke screen on so on just an Alfa thing!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 147 has been smoking quite badly. But only when cold and seems to stop/slow down once the engine is warm. I’m nervously watching the coolant level every other day but so far so good it is staying at a constant level. There was a little mayonnaise on the oil filler cap but not now. Also the engine temp stays pretty constant as well. This is good. I wouldn’t worry about the smoke just yet. It’s if you have all the signs of a blown gasket that I would get concerned. The smoke on its own doesn’t necessarily mean blown head gasket. I too have seem 09 plate cars driving round with plumes of smoke and id bet my Alfa that they don’t have a blown gasket.

Saying that I’m going to a garage this Thursday to mend my 'sticky gears' problem, so I’m going to mention the excessive smoke then and see what they say. Watch this space.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did a head gasket test, stayed blue thankfully. Had a good look under the hood with my mechanic and we saw a leak coming from top rad hose.. so got a new one, regarding the steam, i think you're right. cold weather is all tis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Glad you got it fixed without having to fork out loads. Judgment day for me is tomorrow. hopefully they will just confirm that the 'white smoke' is just weather related. Then I can just get down to properly enjoying my car without worry about the possibility of £1000 engine repair round the corner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts