Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I've just bought a 147 1.9 JTD 8v at auction (I know, I know...). On the face of it, all the problems seem fairly minor and a new cambelt/full service is going to happen at the weekend. One thing that did show up on the journey home was the military grade smokescreen behind me when I put my foot down. :wow:Don't know too much about diesels, but I'm pretty sure this indicates some form of expenditure!
Any thoughts would be welcome, as I want to be at least partially informed for the mechanic who will inevitably start rubbing his hands and sucking his teeth at the same time.

Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm no mechanic, but out of interest, what colour is the smoke? And does the car feel like it's running ok? I only ask because i imagine it could be something as simple as a split pipe. Like i said i'm no expert but the info could help one of the experts who pops along soon to diagnose/offer suggestions quicker.

Mine is a remapped JTD and it smokes like Dot Cotton when i give it some welly, high miles/remap means it's to be expected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only lights on are for a glow plugs fault. The turbo sounds ok and fuel consumption welly factor seem ok too. Thought egr issues led to power loss? Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
basics' get the basics sorted before replacing egr or turbos.

replace the air filter & replace the diesel filter.... then see how the smoke is.

if the car has been re-mapped, then that could be the issue

it could be block egr system or sticking egr valve.... but get the basics right 1st.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
afaik the 'glow plug' light is the Engine Management light ... OTC

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sears, the car will be getting a full service tomorrow, including filters. When I said glow plug light, I meant message on startup saying "glow plug fault" on the central display. To be fair, the symbol stays on to the RHS of the display. I will get the mech to have a look at the egr.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
i would think a split boost hose so check all of your hoses and if you are doing the service yourself then you are competent enough to clean out your egr valve might as well do it as part of a service
sears is right basics first

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Hi All,
I've just bought a 147 1.9 JTD 8v at auction (I know, I know...). On the face of it, all the problems seem fairly minor and a new cambelt/full service is going to happen at the weekend. One thing that did show up on the journey home was the military grade smokescreen behind me when I put my foot down. :wow:Don't know too much about diesels, but I'm pretty sure this indicates some form of expenditure!
Any thoughts would be welcome, as I want to be at least partially informed for the mechanic who will inevitably start rubbing his hands and sucking his teeth at the same time.

Cheers
OK, there is only one thing that I would think is the problem here: Split turbo boost hose. Either turo to intercooler or intercooler to throttle body.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Wouldn't that mean a loss of power and a risk of getting air in the system if driven to much?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all your comments so far. The car has had a full service, but the problem with smoking under acceleration is as bad. I've had a look at the boost hoses and they seem ok. The egr will come off tomorrow and be cleaned out etc. The only thing is that I'm not experiencing any power loss. I would have expected this if the problem lay with either the egr or a split hose. I will take it out for fifty or so miles today and check for any oil usage, but any further ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
568 Posts
What mileage has it done? Use a diesel fuel system cleaner- redex or wynns or stp . We run mercedes sprinters and ducato jtds and we use a fuel cleaner every 50.000kms. Just tips for a cleaner system I am not a mechanic or diesel fitter.

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Do me a favour ( and yourself ) Try putting BP Ultimate Diesel in your Car for a few tankfuls of Fuel. I have ALWAYS put BP Ultimate in my Car, have done so since new, BUT, when the fuel prices rocketed up to over £1:40 per Ltr, I stuck Sainsburys City Diesel in for a while, and I continually saw black smoke in my rear view mirror, with no real loss of power at all, BUT now BP Ultimate is back down to about £1:01 again, I've started using it again for the last 9 Months or so......with NO smoke coming out from the Car at all !!!!!.......:):)

Just a thought, to save you spending any money unnecessarily.........:thumbs:

Good Luck.......

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
BTW.....My Car has done about 22000 miles since new, and I never had a " smoke " problem until I changed Fuels.......

Hope that helps !!!!!!.......:thumbs:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyone's replies, the egr was the culprit. Cleaning it didn't make a difference, although it seemed to be working ok. Eventually I had run out of options and replaced it. Between that and the filter changes, it's still al little smoky, but nothing worrying. Now all I need is a body builder to operate the clutch for me and we're away!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts