Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I brought the missus an 147 JTD MJet and it produces black smoke under hard acceleration. I know some diesels do this but this is too much I think.

I suspected the car may have had a crap remap so I pulled the file, emailed it to a friend for him to take a look at. He confirmed the file was standard(no remap) so there has to be something wrong.

Its not the EGR because its less than a year old and has a restrictor plate installed.

My next guesses were air filter, MAF sensor, leaking induction pipe.

Can anyone help and shed a little light on this for me, point me in the right direct so to speak?

Any help will be appreciated ..

·
Registered
278 Posts
My first port of call would be to look at the codes to see if anything pings up, cable is cheap enough off eBay and fiat ecu scan is free. How are the turbo hoses?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My first port of call would be to look at the codes to see if anything pings up, cable is cheap enough off eBay and fiat ecu scan is free. How are the turbo hoses?
Already done that, no errors in the Engine ECU. Checked the Body ECU too, nothing there either.

Oil level was a little high so I drained a little off.

I've just removed the whole of the high pressure side of the induction system and checked for leaks and found nothing.

I'm thinking about removing the intake manifold to give it a clean, is it difficult to remove?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Problem solved!

Faulty MAF Sensor.

Unplugged the MAF Sensor, started the car and there was no smoke at all but it wouldn't rev above 3000rpm.

Reconnected the MAF Sensor, started the car and instantly there was smoke. Rev'd easily into the redline and smoked quite badly.

Result!

Just ordered a new MAF Sensor, £55 .. :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Out of interest, how does the ECU detect the EGR is blanked ? Only thing I can think of is it looks for a temperature rise at the MAP sensor temp probe when the EGR is open.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out of interest, how does the ECU detect the EGR is blanked ? Only thing I can think of is it looks for a temperature rise at the MAP sensor temp probe when the EGR is open.
Yes the 16v ECU does detect a completely blanked off EGR thats why I used a restrictor plate instead. Basically its a blanking plate with a 9mm hole in. It allows just enough exhaust gases(and the crap they contain) through to stop the ECU detecting its blanked ...

This is the one I purchased.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-valve-blanking-plate-VAUXHALL-CDTi-FIAT-ALFA-1-9-2-4-JTD-JTDM-SAAB-1-9-CDTI-/110848082633

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
£55 ! not a bosch one then? everyone recomends bosch only, your problem may not go away
£55 plus VAT just under £70.

Yes most people do recommend Bosch but I've brought 2 non OEM previously and had no problems at all so I've done the same this time too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts