Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i know the answer but want to check with you guys. Long story short iv just had new disks and pads fitted all round. Ferrodo 1200s front and standard rears. On brembo disks-smooth. Only done a few hundred miles. I gave it a deep clean inside and out and finished with back to black on the tyres. The next day went for a "spirited" drive shall we say about 50 miles. After coming of the local A road a tight short slip road of so had to give the brakes a good working there was smoke/steam coming from the front when i stoped at the traffic lights. The brake perfomance seemed normal with no excess push in the peddle. Could it be of spray from the back to black tyer spray or is there an underling issue i wasnt overly zelous with the application and it was relatively wind free but cant say for definite if there was overspray. Brakes are a big thing for me, obviously. Any comments would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I'm wondering if the garage cleaned the new discs before fitment?? They have a coated film which needs to be removed with a generous amount of brake cleaner.

If not, it would explain your description and can be dangerous, as its basically a fine coating of grease, for want of a better description.

Get some brake cleaner spray and give them a go over and recheck.

Was the brake fluid changed?? Needs doing every two years.. Check your hoses and connections etc

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i remember the disks being greasy as hell when i got them. Im not sure its a good garage PowerItalia in basildon, possible he didnt it was the last job of many lol. Changed the fluid middle of last year. Ill nip to halfords tomorow and grab some cleaner. Is it brake pad friendly?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Won't comment on smoking, but Rog at PowerItalia has been servicing my Coupe for 12 years never a problem, also has serviced my GTV, he has owned his own GTV's, 147 GTA's etc. Any issues ring him he will advise.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Ok i remember the disks being greasy as hell when i got them. Im not sure its a good garage PowerItalia in basildon, possible he didnt it was the last job of many lol. Changed the fluid middle of last year. Ill nip to halfords tomorow and grab some cleaner. Is it brake pad friendly?
Yep - ideally remove the wheels, as Tele's don't give you much access to the discs.

Generous amount of spray on either side of the discs, front / back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah rodger is a top guy. Used him for a fair while. Good honest mechanic and knows the car inside out. Mine in the infamous red gtv which dosnt like being worked on. Cant fault him or his service at all.

Thanks paul will update soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts