Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two weeks or so i have noticed that on stating my GTV it puts out a puff of smoke, also i notice a kind of carbon burning smell, only when starting, driving well and no engine management lights on dash, Anyone got any ideas about what the problem could be?

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,340 Posts
Are you sure it's not just condensation from the Exhaust ? This time of year we get lots of Threads about this and it is usually just condensation in the labyrinth exhaust system.

White " smoke " is the usual sign of this, blue smoke would be a bit of a worry. Black " smoke " is usually the sign of an over rich petrol mix.

Don't know about the carbon type smell though, that's not usually reported. :confused:

If it is blue smoke suggest you regularly check the oil level to see if you are using more oil than usual.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure it's not just condensation from the Exhaust ? This time of year we get lots of Threads about this and it is usually just condensation in the labyrinth exhaust system.

White " smoke " is the usual sign of this, blue smoke would be a bit of a worry. Black " smoke " is usually the sign of an over rich petrol mix.

Don't know about the carbon type smell though, that's not usually reported. :confused:

If it is blue smoke suggest you regularly check the oil level to see if you are using more oil than usual.
Oil level is ok, i would say smoke is black, always seem to be driving at night so its hard to tell.

thanks

·
16,340 Posts
Oil level is ok, i would say smoke is black, always seem to be driving at night so its hard to tell.

thanks
Not sure then but I do know that black smoke is usually due to an over rich mixture.

Maybe someone else will be along soon with other suggestions but do check the oil more often than usual just in case it is this that is burning.

Hope all goes well.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I had a similiar situation when my battery was failing inasmuch as the engine turned over more than normal before firing at which point a puff of blue/black smoke would appear complete with what I would call a slightly burnt oil smell I replaced the battery and all ok ...............someone told me (not the salesman) that these engines (v6 dont know bout twinnie) are designed to burn a small amount of oil in normal operation.

·
16,340 Posts
I had a similiar situation when my battery was failing inasmuch as the engine turned over more than normal before firing at which point a puff of blue/black smoke would appear complete with what I would call a slightly burnt oil smell I replaced the battery and all ok ...............someone told me (not the salesman) that these engines (v6 dont know bout twinnie) are designed to burn a small amount of oil in normal operation.
More cranking than usual could, I think, cause a build up of unburned petrol which could cause this.

TS engines do burn a little oil, some more than others. Mine hardly uses a drop between the 6K Oil Changes, others use considerably more.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine starts on the bottom every time, but puts blows out smoke bit like a diesel, not every time i start it but most times, doesn,t seem to make a differance if engine is hot or cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts