Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, only just joined and have done a search briefly but no really sure if the threads apply..

anyhow. I have a 20V JTD 156 seems to run fine cruising >70mph but a couple of things happen if i either accelerate hard or go above 70mph

There is a rather large plume of smoke left behind the car...it accelerates well (I think...I've only owned it a few days) but sometimes the engine almost seems as if it's slightly unbalanced now i think the "unbalanced" feeling kinda seems like a driveshaft but can't be 100% on that and will investigate further when i can get it on a ramp.

but the smoke is bothering me, I've read countless threads all over the net saying about a blocked EGR's can 'cause this but also goes on to mention poor performance and economy, well to date it seems nippy enough and today on £30 of fuel its managed around 320miles and still not hit reserve yet.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before..

·
Registered
450 Posts
Likely to be either stuck EGR or split bottom turbo hose.

·
Registered
9,339 Posts
Unbalanced fee might be worn suspension arms or dodgy cheap/worn tyres ..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cat and egr should be checked. I don't know if it has dpf, but if it has one it should too.

Is there any over consumption symptoms?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cat and egr should be checked. I don't know if it has dpf, but if it has one it should too.

Is there any over consumption symptoms?

I'm going to check the EGR this weekend, as for consumption no its actually fairly good on fuel ±49mpg so I'm not sure its a boost leak of any description

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I'm going to check the EGR this weekend, as for consumption no its actually fairly good on fuel ±49mpg so I'm not sure its a boost leak of any description
Is that what the dashboard is telling you, or what fuel receipts and odometer readings are telling you?

My dash computer reports around 60 mpg usually, but fuel receipts and odo readings work out closer to 50 mpg...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is that what the dashboard is telling you, or what fuel receipts and odometer readings are telling you?

My dash computer reports around 60 mpg usually, but fuel receipts and odo readings work out closer to 50 mpg...
no thats real world figures, £30 in (on two occasions..only owned the car a week) in region of 320 miles out to empty

·
Registered
50 Posts
yeah sounds like egr. my sportwagon did this so i cleaned egr and changed turbo hose (it was top one, the split was barely visible) and it cured it until cambelt snapped on boxing day :furious:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no it hasn't been remapped, the previous owner (1st owner) is a 70yr old man who's a friend of the family, trust me it wouldn't have been remapped.

and to be honest the next remap up from this would give it approx 200bhp± and its not that fast

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I know what a map does on the 2.4 156 - I've had one. When you have it running properly get it mapped. It is THE best money you will spend on this car!!!!!

Don't plan to unblock the EGR blank it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know what a map does on the 2.4 156 - I've had one. When you have it running properly get it mapped. It is THE best money you will spend on this car!!!!!

Don't plan to unblock the EGR blank it.
a very close friend can do a flash for me however i have resisted on this car and the previous (Focus TDCI) because its a daily workhorse, i waft along around 65-70mph on motorways (I do circa 50-60k a year) for performance i also have a 200SX with far too much power for the grin factor if i need it.

so while i get remapping is a way for forwards I'm not really looking to increase the performance/economy of this car as reliability is more important.

as for blanking off I did see about this and not really paying too much attention but saw there are two different routes...one plate with holes and one without to be honest at that point i got distracted by something else no doubt and didn't investigate further, i think the mention of EML/error codes meant i didn't look further

·
Registered
450 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine had this problem, almost fixed after cleaning the egr, althought I blanked it in the end. Also the EGR body was slightly loosen in the inlet manifold, allowing some leak.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts