Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I have a 1996 GTV 2.0 16v T.Spark 103000miles that is smoking lots of white/gray smoke. No mayonaise in engine or oil in water.If you look down the spark plug holes the tops of the pistons look wet!! Engine is smooth running with lots of power. New head gasket fitted 2000miles ago by last owner Have done dry/wet compression test results as follows:
1 2 3 4
DRY 195 180 170 195 psi
WET 210 195 175 200 psi
Valve seal/guides or rings or vent problem or something else ???
any ideas please

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Its a bit worrying that there's a 25 differnce between the highest and lowest reading when dry, and 35 when wet. White smoke isn't a problem, and I thought grey was more to do with petrol than oil. Howeve,r with 103 K on the clock you've got to think its the rings on their way out...

·
Registered
13,242 Posts
If the head gasket is new, then it's probably not bust. The lack of goo in your oil (and I presume lack of oil in your coolant?) would be a good sign.

You often get a lot of white "smoke" during damp weather, especially if you haven't been on a long run (20 miles, say). I wouldn't necessarily worry tooo much about it unless your fella is also losing a lot of coolant.. in which case, where is it going?

A rich engine makes blue smoke and a leaking one (burning oil) burns black.

Black smoke means the valve guides or the oil scraper rings are tired. It's more likely the guides (or rather their rubber seals).

Your compression results are a bit worrying too. There's a fair bit of discrepancy, though I don't know what the margin should be. It suggests the rings are tired, as Gazza says.

If you have the moolah for it, I'd get someone to do me a new rings/valve guide/seals job. It's not necessarily THAT dear and your beast will go like a rocket afterwards (but remember new rings should be run in gently).

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"A rich engine makes blue smoke and a leaking one (burning oil) burns black." ????
Beg to differ, blue usually oil, black rich or over-choked surely? Grey sometimes visible when a good engine is worked really hard and under 'full-throttle enrichment"

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Agreed Wrenched, if it's Blue, burning oil, pop a set of 'Cord's in if they still do 'em, check the bores for ovality first though, maybe Oilmasters' by Hepolite, or 'PEP' pistons, or out with the Boring Bar, eh Wrenched?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Those compression readings might indicate gasket trouble between 2&3, which may not affect the coolant/oil passages - so no evidence (yet) in cross-contamination. I'd be surprised if a modern engines rings couldn't stand 130000 unless it''s been running badly for a long time.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Reckon that all depends on oil quality and frequency of changes,true though, doesn't seem to be that much in the way of piston, bore problems nowadays. Head gaskets seem to be the flavour at the moment. More powerful high revving engines perhaps? Weakest point?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help will have the valve seals checked first! take it the cylinder head has to come off to renew them anyway!! so can have the head gasket and rings checked at the same time!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Sometimes stem seals can cause oil burning probs. Sometimes valve stem to guide clearance on high mileage, sometimes oil seapage head gasket to combustion chamber, Bores are not that suspect so long as Oil, filter,changes are done frequently. Good Luck.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
You could be lucky then, got a banger that sometimes puffs Blue smoke on startup.Pretty sure this is valve to guide clearance because it's hardly noticeable parked on a level plane in the garage.Wacks it out a bit when parked at a steep angle though. Not too bothered, as the seals were replaced when I had the head off, and it hardly uses any oil.The bores looked fine with just a visual inspection, still see the honing marks. Just as well for a lazy so and so like me, as it has wet liners and I didn't want the bother of yanking them out!

·
Registered
578 Posts
You may need to check for small hairline cracks also they are normally found just under the lower spring cups i can remember something about this from years back worth getting them pressure tested by engineer/machine shop.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ThanKs again for all the replys will update soon when the head is taken off!! where can i get new valve seals and head gasket set mail order? will i need new head bolts as they were new last head gasket change october last year when the gasket was changed by the last owner?

·
Registered
578 Posts
The head bolts should be ok for second fitting have used others before when the custormer,s complain about cost,s, never had any problems, the gasket kits should not be a problem plenty of parts on the web. Good Luck if i can help you just PM me?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts