Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello poeple,

My alfa 155 2.0 TD is making a lot of smoke when it is cold.When i start the engine en let the car run stationarie, it begins shaking and smoking, but when put my foot on the gaspedal and i give some gas the smoke is gone en the car runs normal.

the smoke is white and only apears when the car is cold.

I just had a second hand motor placed in the car,and the motor runs great, except for the smoke.

i placed a new oil filter, air filter, the litte things that heat up when you make contact, and the injectors that inject fuel in the motor.

the water is not decreasing or something and i don't have a clue of what it could be.

could anybody tell me what it could be ?
everything that you can mention (regarding to this problem) is welcome !

thanks in advance

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Welcome to the Forum.

Not too good with Turbo Diesels, but if the turbo works the same as on a petrol motor, maybe the turbo is worn ???

Marlon

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have a faulty heater plug. Diesels usually start on the first turn, if it takes a few turns to get going and then smokes for a couple of minutes then this is probably the problem. The smoke should be blue and smell of diesel. :p

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if understand you correctly you have already replaced the heater plugs..so first make sure your getting 12v to the heater rail when you switch on the ignition if not the relay is broken..secondly change the fuel filter and make sure its on tight..also if you have any leaks in the fuel lines it will also smoke..connect a small piece of clear pipe to the fuel pipe just before it joins the pump if you can see air bubbles in the pipe then you have a leak somewhere..and before anyone says,,with a diesel you CAN have a fuel leak without fuel gusshing out it sucks air in instead of pushing fuel out.. so its either air in the system or the heaters not working. :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your reply jimmybob,

i suggest that my car is sucking air, because the heaters i checked en they all work. So if it sucks air, how can this be resolved.

should i replace anything, and if so how much would it cost.

does anyone know a good tutorial on they internet about this ?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
change the fuel filter and make sure its tight,also look around for any pipes that may be rubbing through on something sharp.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i already changed the fuelfilter and airfilter.
so the only thing that could cause the smoke is that some pipe is sucking air, if i understand you good

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well there isnt much left to do,.ive noticed your engine has a 'primer' pump on top of the fuel filter this could be the problem,this seal in the top can split and slowly leak air in over night,you need to connect a piece of pipe up to 'bypass' the fuel filter if it then starts ok the next day you know where the problem is...dont worry about bypassing the filter for a day or two it will be ok.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts