Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How much smoke should be expected after DPF removal? I'm not noticing any smoke in the rear view mirror whilst driving/accelerating but have noticed a fair bit generated when the car is first started in the morning (to put the amount of smoke into context it is a constant stream rather than an explosion of smoke, and only visible when standing outside the car).

Is this purely down to the mornings being colder now? I notice that other cars do it as well but I have first MOT since DPF removal next week and I'm starting to get paranoid that it wont pass!

Gus did promise that car would be Euro 5 standard.

Any others with the straight through pipe noticing similar smoking??

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have a little bit when starting in a morning but nothing much after that,

Mines been through two MOT now without a problem and is due another in two weeks time..

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
With no DPF it will smoke sometimes.

When cold, even with a DPF it will still smoke.

MOT is done warmed up anyway, so I wouldnt worry.

N

·
0 Posts
Smoke or water vapour?

2.2 produced loads of steam before heating up properly.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My 159 has a little puff of smoke (for a few seconds) on start up,

while the GT produces steam while warming up,

If I have them both running at the same time its like being at the local steam railway! :)))

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Maybe it will pass the MOT, but, but there's no way it will meet the particle standard of EU V - unlike EU IV, the particle standards are impossible to meet without a filter at the moment.

Mind you, PSA couldnt even meet the IV standard without them!

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte
1,764 Posts
Maybe it will pass the MOT, but, but there's no way it will meet the particle standard of EU V - unlike EU IV, the particle standards are impossible to meet without a filter at the moment.

Mind you, PSA couldnt even meet the IV standard without them!
Is EU 5 for cars produced after 09/2009?

A

·
0 Posts
Is EU 5 for cars produced after 09/2009?
Yes that's correct!

I've had remap about a month ago and have excessive black smoke when accelerating hard. Makes you a bit paranoid for upcoming MOT's but mines not until next October. Let me know how you get on with yours and if they mention anything?

Gus recommended me to try an injector cleaner (Wynn's or Millers) @ 1/8th of a tank and run to empty a couple of times. Which I did and now use Shell V-Power from standard shell and that's reduced any white smoke on start-up dramatically. Although...

...Could be glow plugs also in this cold weather, mine have gone so checking them at the weekend! If one or more goes, the engine doesn't heat properly on cold start up and then smokes from the unburnt diesel.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
One thing to consider is that the car is smoking because the engine is under load, the MOT test is performed when stationary, therefore the remap will push very little fuel through the car when just reving the engine, therefore it should easily pass the MOT :thumbs:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yes that's correct!

I've had remap about a month ago and have excessive black smoke when accelerating hard. Makes you a bit paranoid for upcoming MOT's but mines not until next October. Let me know how you get on with yours and if they mention anything?

Gus recommended me to try an injector cleaner (Wynn's or Millers) @ 1/8th of a tank and run to empty a couple of times. Which I did and now use Shell V-Power from standard shell and that's reduced any white smoke on start-up dramatically.

Hi Andy
I had my re-map in July and ditto here with the smoke, I run on only BP Ultimate or Total Excellium as I didn't see any soot/smoke reduction with V-Max.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have normal dpf removal, remap etc etc goes great, minor amount of smoke when really gunning it from low revs but got an MOT failure on my 57 2.4jtdm last month. My mot station gave it several tries to get the reading down, got it really hot but no good. I use Millers all the time.

Advice was: give the motor a good clear out - this meant round the block (a50, M1, A52) at full rpm in third . That meant 82 mph on the rev limiter foot on the floor. Gave it 20 mins of this then straight to the mot station - PASS.

Conclusion, my daily communte is just not good enough to keep system cleared out (6 miles, temp in winter does not reach 90degC, can't get into 6th only just 5th) so car now gets an italian tune up every week. Twinkle of smoke on first hard full bore accelaration then fine.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I have normal dpf removal, remap etc etc goes great, minor amount of smoke when really gunning it from low revs but got an MOT failure on my 57 2.4jtdm last month. My mot station gave it several tries to get the reading down, got it really hot but no good. I use Millers all the time.

Advice was: give the motor a good clear out - this meant round the block (a50, M1, A52) at full rpm in third . That meant 82 mph on the rev limiter foot on the floor. Gave it 20 mins of this then straight to the mot station - PASS.

Conclusion, my daily communte is just not good enough to keep system cleared out (6 miles, temp in winter does not reach 90degC, can't get into 6th only just 5th) so car now gets an italian tune up every week. Twinkle of smoke on first hard full bore accelaration then fine.
what smoke test reading were you getting al? My 1.9 with remap/decat recently passed the mot with a reading of 1.18

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
I thought the measurement taken on smoke density had a limit of 3.0m-1 for pre 2008 and 1.5m-1 for post 2008 turbo charged diesels

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have dpf removal, egr closed, straight through exhaust etc and I have found that the amount of smoke on startup is greatly reduced if you put the key in and wait an extra 5 seconds after all the engine management lights turn off. Not sure if the glow plugs have the cylinders that little bit hotter and makes for a better startup?? With the cold weather it will smoke more anyway so best to compare mid day...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi All, I did post about smoke on start up after remap and removal and everyone back then said Gus/Aidie Alfatune/ AHM cars never smoke ??? now they all seem to smoke just as mine used to a small amount on first start up and then soot under hard accelleration. So what has gone wrong at Alfatune all of a sudden?

I believe all dpf removed cars will smoke! to some extent just like pre DPF deisels always did when nailed hard. That said I bet in most cases the performance gain and fuel saving is worth it? .....?

Mark Flintshire.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Hi All, I did post about smoke on start up after remap and removal and everyone back then said Gus/Aidie Alfatune/ AHM cars never smoke ??? now they all seem to smoke just as mine used to a small amount on first start up and then soot under hard accelleration. So what has gone wrong at Alfatune all of a sudden?

I believe all dpf removed cars will smoke! to some extent just like pre DPF deisels always did when nailed hard. That said I bet in most cases the performance gain and fuel saving is worth it? .....?

Mark Flintshire.
I think you're confusing matters here a bit along with others. The original post was about some smoke on startup. MancDave actually said his car does not produce any noticeable smoke under acceleration - only on a cold startup. It's difficult to gauge how much smoke he's talking about but this could be due to lots of reasons that are not related to a remap. Just to confirm, my car doesn't smoke any more on startup compared to before the remap and does not noticeably smoke under max acceleration.

Hope this helps.:thumbs:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think you're confusing matters here a bit along with others. The original post was about some smoke on startup. MancDave actually said his car does not produce any noticeable smoke under acceleration - only on a cold startup. It's difficult to gauge how much smoke he's talking about but this could be due to lots of reasons that are not related to a remap. Just to confirm, my car doesn't smoke any more on startup compared to before the remap and does not noticeably smoke under max acceleration.

Hope this helps.:thumbs:
I think it is related to the cold. No smoke at all yesterday when the atmosphere was a bit warmer.

MOT booked in for tomorrow so fingers crossed!!

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I think it is related to the cold. No smoke at all yesterday when the atmosphere was a bit warmer.

MOT booked in for tomorrow so fingers crossed!!
You should be fine - many others have passed without any problem...
Good luck! :thumbs:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts