Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a thread about black smoke and the MAP sensor.

Guess what? Took mine out, it was filled full of 'carbon cack', cleaned it with carb cleaner and a tooth brush, and...smoke free zone!

Cannot believe it. It took all of 10 mins, if that.

Thanks to the original 'threadees', I am so happy....:)

:) :) :)

:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I was just about to start a thread about smoking but will add to this one...

A smokey diesel is basically unburnt fuel so improve the induction with a new filter and in theory should smoke less?

What I don't understand is after a remap when it becomes more smokey as more fuel is thrown in how the MPG increases?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well i'm hardly an expert but there's a difference between fuel thrown in @full throttle and at cruising...and in the maps also.
+ the trick is more power=>less action for the right foot if you keep your driving style.If you drive it really hard after a remap, it most certainly won't improve economy...

As for the MAP sensor, yes it's good to clean it but unfortunately the whole inlet manifold is full with the same stuff so the real deal is to clean that... :)
That would definately make an improvement....

As for improving the induction and therefore getting less smoke, I think the MAF sends the signal to the ECU and then it determines the quantity of fuel according to what the MAF sends...so if you get more air in, then you get more fuel in the mixture too in order to keep the AFR correct.So no less smoke here :)

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I was just about to start a thread about smoking but will add to this one...

A smokey diesel is basically unburnt fuel so improve the induction with a new filter and in theory should smoke less?

What I don't understand is after a remap when it becomes more smokey as more fuel is thrown in how the MPG increases?
right ill try and put it in easy to understand terms

turbo diesels inherently run lean so when they are mapped they increase fueling to to suit and raise boost pressure in to make do with efficiency of turbo ..so in otherwords more fuel ,more air = power

side effect of this is usually better mpg as engine fuel to air ratio, is correct

smoking engines is usually down to a fault and it doesnt mean poor mapping even though some have had them .just look at internet about EGR clogging up ,MAP sensors clogging and theses are standard motor in the majority

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
I've just come back from the the mechanics because of a lot of smoke on a 1.8 twinspark.

Says its the cam belt and head gasket.

If it stops with the cam change, the gasket doesnt need doing. Is that about right.
smoke can be caused by oil water being burnt and even faulty lambda can give smokey exhaust

A

·
0 Posts

Guess what? Took mine out, it was filled full of 'carbon cack', cleaned it with carb cleaner and a tooth brush, and...smoke free zone!

Thanks to the original 'threadees', I am so happy....

Mines the same so i will give this a go first but im not sure where to find the MAP sensor if you can help.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,771 Posts

Thanks to the original 'threadees', I am so happy....

Mines the same so i will give this a go first but im not sure where to find the MAP sensor if you can help.

Thanks
Thanks from me also :thumbs:

Kept getting P1238 faults "Air Quality 2" - Signal Low. Cleaned the EGR but still got the fault, noticed that the fault occurred when the EGR Duty Cycle dropped to 1%. Removed the MAP sensor and it was totally clogged, cleaned with Carb Cleaner and its been two days without a message, so it should be OK.

Car's running great now.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well I thought the OP meant MAF sensor, didn't even know there was a MAP sensor i'll give mine a clean at the weekend, is it easy to get too?

Also had a thought for clogged manifolds.. Would blanking the EGR for a few hundred miles give it a good blast through with clean air?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is the 1.9jtdm.

Take off the engine cover and you will find a small 'black box' with one screw and one plug connector, it's at the rear of the manifold, to the left hand side, as you face the engine bay.

Remove the screw, then ease out the sensor (it has a rubber seal) then get some carb cleaner on it.

Good luck.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Well I thought the OP meant MAF sensor, didn't even know there was a MAP sensor i'll give mine a clean at the weekend, is it easy to get too?
asked the very same question yesterday! ...a very stern NO was the reply. if it ain't broke, don't fix it was the reasoning. Mine isn't broke....

·
Registered
665 Posts
asked the very same question yesterday! ...a very stern NO was the reply. if it ain't broke, don't fix it was the reasoning. Mine isn't broke....
What is the difference between the MAF and the MAP ? I thought it was best not to clean the MAF as it is very sensitive but what is the MAP and what does it do ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts