Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 wks ago had major service done, and noticed afterwards that the car is sometimes belching white smoke not always. As it had been smoking I thought I'd better check the oil level, and to my surprise has been filled above the second notch on the dipstick, it never smoked before it went to the garage, could this be the reason and if so should I drain to halfway between the two notches to avoid any problems ??

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When did you check the oil? Before or after a run?

The second notch is the maximum so it should be ok unless they have overfilled it and you've burnt the exces oil off, but isnt that blue smoke?

wrinx

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it's not blue, it's white and I checked before a run but engine temp was ok, I don't believe theres anything major as it doesn't smoke all the time and oil press is always 4.0 barg and also the fact that I never noticed this before the service, but even after 2 wks of (roughly 600 miles) sometimes burning smoke the level is still above the second notch ??? BTW runs fantastic.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well then, you need to drain off some oil,try to get it halfway between min and max and see if that helps.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
White smoke is often treated as a sign that the head gasket may have failed - it's actually steam caused by water leaking into the cylinders.

First check - is the water level OK or has it dropped?

If water is leaking into the oil (also via the failed head gasket) this would cause the oil level to increase. Oil floats on water so the water would be at the bottom of the sump - not registering on the dip stick. Check this by draining a bit of the sump contents and see what comes out.

Also look for 'mayonnaise' inside the oil filler cap.

If you do have water in your oil then stop driving the car straight away - water doesn't lubricate quite as well as oil...

Ian

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ian Spring:
White smoke is often treated as a sign that the head gasket may have failed - it's actually steam caused by water leaking into the cylinders.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
err same thing.??

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This seems to be co-inciding with my post about overheating, **** !!!! what checks can I do to confirm head gasket leak ??, althouth I've had blown head gasket problems a couple of times (pre-alfa)) and it was noticible almost directly, with instant loss of power and typical ignition probs which I don't seem to have now, and also it's a phenomenon that only happens now and again ie smokin. If it is the head gasket is it chore which is do-able by a non alfa Mechy ie me ???

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you can often have a small misfire first time you start it and/or you can see/smell oil in the radiator water.

the mayo test doesnt seem to work to well i duno why but i hardly ever see it these days.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ledzep

apparantly this works.........you could try asking a mechanic to stick his emissions test probe in the header tank to check for gases eek! eek! eek!

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have a chemical tester that sniffs the water and tells you if carbon dioxide is present.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Head gaskets can fail in several ways:

Water into oil
Water into bores
Oil into water
Oil into bores
Oil to outside of engine
Oil and water into bores

And probably more combinations of the above.

Not all of these will result in Mayo in the header tank. Sounds as if you have the first and second ones and yes, this could well result in overheating.

Leaving aside hi-tech tests, if you are losing water (but no external leaks), overheating, smoking, and the oil level is rising then I don't think there's much doubt. Draining a little bit of the sump contents will confirm presence of water in the oil.

Sometimes when a head gasket goes in this way the running of the car will hardly be affected initially, but the constant overheating may eventually make the gasket blow 'big time' eek!

Or the water in the oil will kill the bearings and the whole engine will die eek! eek! eek!

In my younger days (and with cars which are now considered classics) I would have changed a head gasket myself without thinking twice but now.... these modern automobiles are just so complicated.... I'd go to a garage.

Ian

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was het inderdaad de koppakking??
Als hem overvuld is zal hem zijn overtollig olie eruit gooien via de kleppen.
Mij olie peil staat altijd op de bovenste streep , zeker als je hoog in toeren rijdt kan je maar beter een hoger peil hebben .

And now in English , beter to have the level at the upper indicator than between.
If the engine oil is overfilled , the engine will trow out the excessive oil , a smart way to get your exhaust lubricated though .

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if it is the head gasket, then it is advisable not to try and do it yourself, in some circumstances the head can warp, only by a tiny amount ( note the use of technical words ), this wil result in the gasket having a weak point and likely to blow again, unless it is 'skimmed' flat, this is defo a 'mechy' job, it does cost, but better to do it once than twice, just make sure your mechy is reputable, it is a skilled job.......

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you gotta pay for a blow you're in trouble :eek: :eek: :eek:

................sorry :rolleyes:

wrinx

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
??? Now I am confused :confused: :D :D Anyway it stopped smoking for the time being just done a 1000 mile round trip to Germany and back no sign of any smoke drove like a dream :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts