Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My remapped 156 1.9 JTD smokes a bit - well a lot - when you put your foot down. You get a hefty grey cloud out of the back as the revs rise.

As far as I can tell it is only when the revs are rising, it doesn't continue to smoke once the revs are as high as you are taking them, although I am aware that might just be that the smoke is harder to see when dissipated by the faster passing air...

Anyway I'm not using oil, so I'm interested to know what might be making this smoke and whether I need to worry about it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
has it done it since remap ?
Yes probably. But I think it has got worse recently. I watched the remap done, on a rolling road. The guy cranked it up to max which clearly belches out all sorts of rubbish and then worked back until it didn't smoke. I have noticed something from time to time in my rear view mirror but recently I think it has got worse.

possibly small split in turbo pipes? any loss of power at all?
I will have a look at that. I had a recurring issue with a slight momentary loss of torque at a
couple of points in the rev range. This was resolved at my last service after something was cleaned out and it has been going very nicely recently. Perhaps too nicely as I have been encouraged to drive harder. And then I start noticing more smoke, even when I am not spanking it. And this morning... yes I probably would say I have lost some power.

There is also a tiny oil drip from one of the pipes near the turbo. Long standing. Very slight. At the last service they cleaned up in the vicinity and said that next time I was in it would be clear where it was coming from. I guess I'd better get back there now. But if possible I would like an idea of what I am going to be hit with before I get there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar issue - same car, same smoke when pushing hard through the revs.

Not sure it's a split in the turbo pipes, had them replaced a couple of months ago (did have splits in), along with the airflow meter and turbo valve. No loss of power though, and it's not remapped (....yet.....). At service last week was told everything was working as it should and in good condition.

Is it just one of those things? Would be interested to hear any other opinions!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine was belching out smoke from the rear and on investigation one of the intercooler pipes had a split in it, since replacement it still spews out a bit but i put it down to the remap, it is fine to drive and has done it since i got it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Like the other members have said most likely intercooler hose has splits. Mine smoked a fair bit,after looking at the hoses all seemed good no splits cracks to report. I changed it anyway because it was drenched in oil and thought if oil can get out so can air pressure. Smoking GONE.

On my brothers diesel, Injector cleaner done the job

1 - 9 of 9 Posts