Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I’ve got a small amount of smoke coming from engine oil filler cap when idling (Doesn’t come from dipstick as far as I can tell). Cars a Giulietta 2014 with 30K miles on the clock.
Seems to burning through a fair bit of oil as well!
Is this a common problem with these cars? I’m going to try an engine flush in the hope it’s just a breather pipe blocked. Alternatively I guess it could be the piston rings or valves? Worried this is going to be a huge repair bill!
Thanks for any advice you have!
Chris

·
Registered
34,882 Posts
You could ask this question in the Giulietta section and include which engine you have. It doesn’t sound a familiar problem to me on any engine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
With such low milage it would be rare but unfortunately it does sound likely to be either rings or valve seals. Find a good local indie garage and get them to take a look. Best of luck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I’ve got a small amount of smoke coming from engine oil filler cap when idling (Doesn’t come from dipstick as far as I can tell). Cars a Giulietta 2014 with 30K miles on the clock.
Seems to burning through a fair bit of oil as well!
Is this a common problem with these cars? I’m going to try an engine flush in the hope it’s just a breather pipe blocked. Alternatively I guess it could be the piston rings or valves? Worried this is going to be a huge repair bill!
Thanks for any advice you have!
Chris
Haven't seen a single engine that doesn't smoke from the oil filler cap. That's why we have a PCV system. And that's what I do for my job, look at oil fillers...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could ask this question in the Giulietta section and include which engine you have. It doesn’t sound a familiar problem to me on any engine.
Ah yeah completely forgot to say - it’s the 1.6 diesel. I’ll post this question that thread. Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't seen a single engine that doesn't smoke from the oil filler cap. That's why we have a PCV system. And that's what I do for my job, look at oil fillers...
So you’re saying this is quite normal? I should mention it does seem ‘Losing’ oil as well on long drives!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
It’s not normal Chris but it can happen, as jet says however oil consumption is allowed by Alfa up to 1L per 1000km across the engines range on the G.
I’d be taking it to a garage tho as mines done 16000 miles this year and I’ve used nothing

zoo

·
Registered
277 Posts
If it's not leaking oil, it's most likely going through the turbo, and from there either straight into the exhaust, or through the intake and engine. That's the most likely place to lose oil at anything but snail pace.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts