Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the blue this afternoon while idling, I noticed a burning smell in the car and then saw blueish smoke coming from the engine (very little, hardly noticeable in daylight).

As you stand facing the front of the car, looking at the engine, the smoke is coming from the top left, underneath the cambelt area perhaps.

Any ideas what could be causing it? Cam cover gasket perhaps?

And I'm quite far from home at the moment (20), is it safe to drive the car, or should I get it towed?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
my first thought was cambelt or sothing rubbing on somthing else as you have a burning smell and smoke.... you would need the oil landing on somthing very hot to cause that..... just a thought ;)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its definitely not the cambelt, I drove the car home, no visible smoke or smell while the car was moving. Once it was parked up outside the house, I could see the smoke coming from under the bonnet, its still very little though.

Either oil or diesel is leaking onto something and being burnt, giving off the smell and smoke.

What are the usual suspects for leaks in that part of the engine?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Small update, since the engine started smoking yesterday, the battery light seems to be on permanently (when the engine is running/being driven).

Without checking the manual, I assume the battery light means there's a problem with the battery or alternator?

How could the two things (smoke and battery light) be connected?!

·
Registered
497 Posts
i had a similar experience just before my alternator seized, i was going quite fast when it all happened, it sheered the pulley which was glowing red hot and was cooking the belt. I got Mr AA to cut the belt off and drove about for a few days without it. just kept the battery topped up over night. probably best to check the aux belt for movement, im sure you know that the cambelt is at risk if the aux belt pops off.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i had a similar experience just before my alternator seized, i was going quite fast when it all happened, it sheered the pulley which was glowing red hot and was cooking the belt. I got Mr AA to cut the belt off and drove about for a few days without it. just kept the battery topped up over night. probably best to check the aux belt for movement, im sure you know that the cambelt is at risk if the aux belt pops off.
This seems a very good shout, the smoke was coming from this area and the battery light coming on seems to confirm it! The belt is sometimes noisey too, when I havent used the car for a while.

One question, when changing the aux belt and idler, do you have to change the tensioner aswell? The tensioner is a seriously expensive part for the 2.4 JTD!

·
Registered
497 Posts
This seems a very good shout, the smoke was coming from this area and the battery light coming on seems to confirm it! The belt is sometimes noisey too, when I havent used the car for a while.

One question, when changing the aux belt and idler, do you have to change the tensioner aswell? The tensioner is a seriously expensive part for the 2.4 JTD!
i changed the tensioner the day before it happened :rant: but i cant see why you would need to if it was in good nick. cost me 600 to put right i did put a brand new and not a refurb alt in though. it was one hell of an expensive week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts