Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what a great start to the day :mad:

driving down the m60 at 70mph this morning when a stone hit the screen with an almighty bang - huge chip with massive cracks radiating all round it = one knackered windscreen

Ho hum, these things happen but it's cost me £60 excess and although it doesn't affect my no-claims discount, it will still no doubt show as a claim on my file so they'll use that to rip me off even more at renewal time so their £60 excess will slowly get multiplied over the years :(

top marks to national windscreens though - phoned them at 8.30, they were at my workplace by 11, finished by 11.45 and that's for a screen with the light/rain sensors fitted. job jobbed :thumbs:

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Bad news Al. I had that happen a while back on mine. Doubly annoying when you know it isn't your fault and it is totally unavoidable.

Just make sure they put the little plastic "winglet" jobbies on the bottom corners correctly. They often snap off the securing clips apparently when they change the screen and they then don't sit quite flat again unless you buy new so you want to pick up on it quicker than I did so you can claim it off the supplier.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad news Al. I had that happen a while back on mine. Doubly annoying when you know it isn't your fault and it is totally unavoidable.

Just make sure they put the little plastic "winglet" jobbies on the bottom corners correctly. They often snap off the securing clips apparently when they change the screen and they then don't sit quite flat again unless you buy new so you want to pick up on it quicker than I did so you can claim it off the supplier.

yep already onto that one :thumbs: n/s one had come loose anyway, but the o/s one has come away as well now

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
+ 1 for National windscreens. Got a large stone / rock thrown up by a French 4x4 on a Friday evening. Got to Calais and stopped the engine suddenly very loud crack and the screen split. Called National they had no mito screen in stock in Kent. Car went up to Nottingham on Saturday, they called 9.00 am on Monday morning and had it fitted by 12.00am :thumbs:
They even managed to retain the Swiss motorway sticker, though the Ali tax disc holder has since fallen off.
I had a £70 excess :tut:

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
I thought the meteor that had hit your screen must've been deflected by the front o/s wheel arch first?

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the meteor that had hit your screen must've been deflected by the front o/s wheel arch first?

that's PRECISELY what happened, it also somehow also rebounded over the roof of the car and subsequently caused the paint to bubble & crack on the edge of the boot badge :eek:

i never did understand the laws of physics - let's hope the same can be said of hastings insurance's loss adjusters :lol:

D

·
0 Posts
Over here you get free windscreen cover on some policies which helps. Shame about the window though.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
I did not think that a broken windscreen affected your insurance at all. Not something you have to declare when buying a new policy. It is not normally considered as a claim?

V

·
0 Posts
I claimed for a new screen a few years ago and have not had it impact on my premium :)

unlucky Al.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Bad luck, at least its sorted though :thumbs:

I had a chip repaired on my windscreen, come renweal time i looked through it and under the claims section it had 'windscreen repair' :confused: it didnt cost me anything for the repair and it didnt affect my insurance but not sure why they bothered putting it on there really

1 - 13 of 13 Posts