Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1999 166 3.0 Super which currently has 18in wheels on, but am looking for the smallest wheels I can get to fit for some chunkier winter tyres.(I've just moved to Luxembourg where winter tyres will be mandatory in 2012 before we start a debate on whether we really need them in the UK :) )

What's the smallest that will fit and still give clearance over the calipers, I am thinking 15in, but sure I read (or I could be making it up) somewhere that the Supers have bigger brakes and that 16in are the smallest that fit?

Any advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
What 18s do you have, id be interested in a swap for my 17s......which is great balance between comfort and looks, Any pics?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are non-alfa ASW rims that were on the car when I bought it earlier this year. See pic below:

Thanks for the offer of a swap, but I want to keep the 18's for the summer tyres, and just have a spare set of winter rims that are smaller (and therefore cheaper on the tyres - difference between 16in and 18in winter tyres more than covers the cost of a spare set of rims.)

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
I've got a 1999 166 3.0 Super which currently has 18in wheels on, but am looking for the smallest wheels I can get to fit for some chunkier winter tyres.(I've just moved to Luxembourg where winter tyres will be mandatory in 2012 before we start a debate on whether we really need them in the UK :) )

What's the smallest that will fit and still give clearance over the calipers, I am thinking 15in, but sure I read (or I could be making it up) somewhere that the Supers have bigger brakes and that 16in are the smallest that fit?

Any advice much appreciated.
AFAIK 16" are the smallest and if you want the Alfa standard fit variants, you will need the specific 'Super' alloys - the 2.0 and 2.5's won't fit over the calipers.

The very ones you are after are on ebay......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-4-ALLOY-WHEELS-AND-TYRES-SIZE-205-55-16-ALFA-ROMEO-166-SUPER-/270842738815?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET&hash=item3f0f7c387f

·
Registered
432 Posts
AFAIK 16" are the smallest and if you want the Alfa standard fit variants, you will need the specific 'Super' alloys - the 2.0 and 2.5's won't fit over the calipers.
I was told on this site that all 166 V6s have the same brakes. The 2.5 is a V6 too and have the same Brembo calipers.

The 2.0 have smaller brakes on the front. I don't know about the brakes on the diesel version.

I have 16" "pepperpots" that I use in winter.

As seen here the V6s are grouped together: Alfa Romeo 166 Brake Discs

ps. I assume the full size 3.2 also has the same brakes?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..the 16" on the tspark are 6.5j, while the V6s are 7j (from memory).

anyhow the point is 6.5j or 7j should be stamped on the wheel somewhere. If you have the brembos the 16x6.5j wheel won't work... unless you use spacers i suppose, but it's easier to get the right wheel :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts