Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread came to light because of sling's sheep effect thread.

Its about companys purchasing vw tsi cars as fleet cars and the effect it has on the bulk of the folk driving them.

Personally im of the opinion that giving these small turbo cars as company cars is a crappy idea anyway, Noticed all these tsi's and 320's makes percentage of people drive like complete knobs shoot through the roof because suddenly their the big man now that they got a little bit of midrange torque so you keep getting guys taking chances, suddenly accelerating and braking hard to get a gap, quickly accelerating up to your boot at random times only to drive slow and sporadic infront of you once they have overtaken you and so forth and so on.

Did anybody else notice small turbo conpany cars going ape on the road?

A few years back if you had a 320, then you had to think before you start doing irresponsible things on the road because you would have to do effort in getting certain level of performance as opposed to just mashing the throttle. And if you could accumilate enough money to purchase a 330 then its usually your own car that you drive civilized because you know you worked hard to buy something of this performance level.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In short a bit of midrange power suddenly turns people into hooligans, whereas having to drop gears for performance makes them drive more responsibly

·
Registered
80 Posts
You're right, they love to take chances. When I'm on the motorway I notice Audi drivers love to drive like complete tools, they love to sit about a couple of inches from your rear bumper or undertake follow motorists. They usually drive an A4 2.0 diesel.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have adopted an extremely therapeutic response to anyone closing in on my rear bumper when i'm busy overtaking a slower car while doing the legal speed limit. Slow down ever so slightly with the aim of rather slotting in behind the car I was planning to overtake. The outcome is that I probably added 10 seconds to my travel time. I have a happy smile on my face and the idiot that tried to overtake me just shortened his life with a couple of months due to high blood pressure. I call it doing my bit for society.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Having never driven a car with a turbo, and this relates to these fleet cars, is there anything special you need to do to keep it healthy and happy?

I've heard about leaving a petrol turbo running for a few minutes before setting off and letting it idle when you reach your destination also for a few minutes. I am not sure if this is the case with cars such as the G 1.4T and the VW TSI. If it is then sure those fleet vehicles will be $&*#ed in a very short space of time and will be costing the companies a fortune in repair bills.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I remember my dad's Isuzu KB 280 had to be idled for a while before you where allowed to switch it off.

With my 2005 147 JTD Mjet - I was worried about this too and read and searched the manual - and nowhere did it state I should leave it to spin off. So I never did. I would drive it like a whooligan - stop switch off and get out. There was a humming noise around the turbo for a while which led me to believe it has some kind of oil pump feeding the turbo with oil for a while after switch off. I have done 140 000km with the car - no turbo issues whatsoever.

Same with the Mito - just get out and switch off. No issues yet - 65 000km.

I think they have resolved the issues with modern turbo's.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Drivers of most types of cars in JHB takes chances these days. I find the worst driver's are hilux double cab\Fortuner drivers and X5 drivers. I assume they buy these sorts of car's specifically so they can bully other road users. Generally SUV drivers behave appalingly though. These day's I've also noticed that they whities in their SUV drive as badly if not worse than some taxi drivers. Also snot nosed young kids in Polo Vivo's who've obviously learnt bad habits from their parents.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I have noticed the small vw turbo thing. But in the cape it's not as bad because a 2.0 NA still has more than enough for a normal 1.4tsi. What works me over are the Audi drivers who now think they should take over from where bmw left off: no indicators and trying to cut people off. I passed a truck one day and left enough room for the truck to manouvre because traffic was going slow and i expected it to slow down, which it did. Unfortunately someone from two lanes away crossed the middle lane to come into our lane between myself and the truck, leaving little room. The truck took off his fender before the driver wvwn noticed that someone was in his blindspot on the left. It could have been worse.

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Drivers of most types of cars in JHB takes chances these days. I find the worst driver's are hilux double cab\Fortuner drivers and X5 drivers. I assume they buy these sorts of car's specifically so they can bully other road users. Generally SUV drivers behave appalingly though. These day's I've also noticed that they whities in their SUV drive as badly if not worse than some taxi drivers. Also snot nosed young kids in Polo Vivo's who've obviously learnt bad habits from their parents.
+1 on all of the above.... I wanted to post basically the exact same . Polo Vivo drivers are either driving at 80 km/h in the fast lane, while texting or sleeping, or 150 km/h in the slow lane or emergency lane, also while texting

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The worst ones is the Guys in the Polo Vivo GT and then the new shape polo TSI. oh my soul these guys......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Worst for me on the roads I mainly drive are the etios drivers doing 35km/h in a 80km/h zone. Must be the fear of them falling apart if they pick up speed.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH MY SOUL THAT ETIOS CARS ARE CRAP

car hire gave me one when I was in cape town for business a few weeks ago. Thought it was peppy and ok in town, just very tinny.

Then I proceeded to take the highway from parow to the va waterfroont for some drinks at the grand beach bar (nnice place btw) and oh my word!!!! 0.00.000% roadholding, and its a brand new car!!! Fearing for my life on even straight roads, I was really starting to think the old tazz rentals were a better option haha

Ps. Traffic out of the city to the airport makes jhb traffic looks like childsplay, I completely missed my flight by a landslide, just because I misjudged the short distance relative to the traffic time

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
OH MY SOUL THAT ETIOS CARS ARE CRAP

car hire gave me one when I was in cape town for business a few weeks ago. Thought it was peppy and ok in town, just very tinny.

Then I proceeded to take the highway from parow to the va waterfroont for some drinks at the grand beach bar (nnice place btw) and oh my word!!!! 0.00.000% roadholding, and its a brand new car!!! Fearing for my life on even straight roads, I was really starting to think the old tazz rentals were a better option haha

Ps. Traffic out of the city to the airport makes jhb traffic looks like childsplay, I completely missed my flight by a landslide, just because I misjudged the short distance relative to the traffic time
I once got an Etios from Avis in Milnerton. It was delivered to my work. On my way home I pass the airport and turned in there to exchange the car. They asked me for the reason for my return of the vehicle, I said it's a P.O.S. The guy behind the counter laughed and said they actually moved all their Etios rentals from the airport to outer lying Avis branches because of complaints.

Traffic in Cape Town: Well. I spend most of my day in traffic. Living in the Northern Suburbs and traveling in and out each day makes you appreciate the fact that you have an Alfa. I travel 30km to work and it takes me between 1.5 and 2 hours each morning. If anything happens along the way, I will get to work by 9am after leaving home at 6. I stayed in JHB for 8 weeks a few years ago. The one thing I loved was the traffic on the M1. At least it moved! :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
no ways i could handle that :eek:
i'd murder someone
Let me explain: http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a103/emcon1/AlfaOwner/20141119_074126.jpg That is down our main road to the freeway. Every day. I don't know about the others but I have several teleconferences with my shift staff who finish before I arrive and then again with the new shift supervisors who just arrived on site. I can also scan through emails and respond using my phone if required so by the time I arrive at work, most of my morning tasks are done. That's why I like Blue&Me and Samsung's car mode. I can perform most functions using voice commands and even dictate my messages and emails. The people in the cars beside me think I'm mad, talking to myself but they are the mad ones sitting in traffic doing nothing! :cheese:

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Jeepers only 45 minutes in the traffic from Northriding to Rivonia has me ready to burst a blood vessel.

Is your 159 an auto? That sort of traffic must be murder on your clutch leg.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I travel 30km to work and it takes me between 1.5 and 2 hours each morning.
I won't be able to do that. Maybe I dont take my job serious enough - but that is a massive waste of personal/family time.

Let's say average 3 hours per day (to work and back). 5 days a week = 15 hours.
4 weeks per month = 60 hours.

An average work day is 9 hours. So you sit more than a full day of work extra per week in your car traveling to and from work ?

60 Hours per month spend in your car?

To me that just seems like a lot of wasted time that could rather be spent with family etc.

I had similar travel times when I worked in fourways. I quit that job after three months and found something closer. Now my travel time per day to and from work is about 80 minutes.

Just saying.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Traffic time is a huge waste. I start work from home and then drive into the office at 9h30 or so. I make sure I leave before 15h30 or after 18h30. Even then, I use the traffic time for all my calls on the handsfree phone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts