Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fitting winter tyres on 16'' I realized that the handling of the car improved noticable (compared to 17'') especially it responds to steering inputs and direction changes more quickly and willingly. Also acceleration is better - after slow hair pins there was always some kind of "stagnation" at low revs - now the car pulls away ! I guess that's the reason why 17'' rims were usually combined with the 6-speed gear box (which has a shorter final ratio) - for the 5-speed boxes it looks like as if 16'' was the best option (at least as far as performance is concerned).

Martin

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Imagine 16" wheels on a 6 speed! Relentless!! Mine's even surprised me on occasion with regard to handling and acceleration... The handling becomes similar to a Mini's through tight corners where you can throw the car with verve... :thumbs:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Imagine 16" wheels on a 6 speed! Relentless!! Mine's even surprised me on occasion with regard to handling and acceleration... The handling becomes similar to a Mini's through tight corners where you can throw the car with verve... :thumbs:
I'll go one step further, currently I'm looking for a 156 V6 gear-box...then I'll take her to the mountains :D

·
Registered
384 Posts
Bigger in this case is cetainly not better.

The bigger the wheel the further you are moving the rotational mass to the outside, this will make it harder to accelerate and also take longer/more force to stop.

I always thought 17" was about optimal (on various cars I have had in the past) clearly best stick to 16" then on the 916!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
After fitting winter tyres on 16'' I realized that the handling of the car improved noticable (compared to 17'') especially it responds to steering inputs and direction changes more quickly and willingly. Also acceleration is better - after slow hair pins there was always some kind of "stagnation" at low revs - now the car pulls away ! I guess that's the reason why 17'' rims were usually combined with the 6-speed gear box (which has a shorter final ratio) - for the 5-speed boxes it looks like as if 16'' was the best option (at least as far as performance is concerned).

Martin
Do we not compensate for the larger diameter wheel with the lower profile tyre?

·
Registered
15 Posts
16's are too small as far as I'm concerned. The tyre profile is too high and you just end up driving on the writing on the side walls... But on the other hand anything over 17 and it's going to go downhill again you will just skitter across the road

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do we not compensate for the larger diameter wheel with the lower profile tyre?
Maybe to some degree, but even if they were the same weight, the point is you are moving the mass further away from the centre, I would expect the wheel and tyre rim are considerably heavier than the tyre sidewall, if you understand my logic.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I currently have 18's on my twinny with 40mm profiles and have to admit that i've found the handling better, only because it's much firmer on tight fast corners as there's less rubber to squish!

Plus the MPG goes up noticeably due to the larger wheel rotation ie on motorways :) only downfall was i lost .5 of a second on take off from standstill but once the 3k rpm range kicks in it's not too bad :)
I did have original 15' steel rims on there which did make it quite nippy but they were too floaty and made the car feel like it was flying on air!
Must get around to ebaying them!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Maybe to some degree, but even if they were the same weight, the point is you are moving the mass further away from the centre, I would expect the wheel and tyre rim are considerably heavier than the tyre sidewall, if you understand my logic.
Thats a good point..flywheel effect??

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
just a question on this
i have a spare set of 16"" with 205=55 tyres on which if we have any more snow was thinking of putting on my Phase 3 which is a 3.2
would they fit on

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
205/50s

just a question on this
i have a spare set of 16"" with 205=55 tyres on which if we have any more snow was thinking of putting on my Phase 3 which is a 3.2
would they fit on
205/50s are the correct size, you might have clearance problems with 55s.

What wheels are they, will they clear your front brake calipers?

Clive

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
think they call them the elegance from the 147

1 - 15 of 15 Posts