Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 56 plate (2006) 159 Lusso Sportwagon 1.9 Jtd has always felt a bit sluggish off the mark; not a lack of engine power, more like it's just a bit on the heavy side. It's come time to replace it and we're keen on another but have only been able to test the 1.9ti (unfortunately not in budget!)- it was a revelation, feeling a lot more nimble, lively and "keen" from the off. I know that since ours was built a lot of weight saving has been done to suspension etc, but can anyone tell me if that is the answer and the newer Lussos will drive more like the ti? That would make the new car decision a no brainer!

thanks

Calum

A

·
0 Posts
as far as i know all 2008 models are lighter and feel way more nimbler...

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
The weight saving isn't all that significant though. Was it 60kgs? That's only like having a 10 stone passenger in the car. Hardly a huge transformation!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
The weight saving isn't all that significant though. Was it 60kgs? That's only like having a 10 stone passenger in the car. Hardly a huge transformation!
A lot of it was unsprung weight, though, wasn't it? So it could 'feel' like more of a difference than it looks on paper.

That said, I've got an '08 1.9jtdm ti Sportwagon and it doesn't feel massively different to the older cars I've tried, although I didn't drive cars with the same engine back-to-back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd imagine that there are very few mechanical differences between the ti and the rest of the range, bar the suspension settings (height) so I'm hoping that the new Lusso will drive like the Ti we tested; still our preferred choice to replace the current one! Both of us immediately noticed the difference between the two cars. Thanks for the help folks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts