Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, my ’06 159 1.9 JTDm at 92k plus has started being sluggish, mainly in first and second gear – particularly at roundabouts where I least want it to be. I’ve read a few posts related to this and all seem to point to the 'EGR valve'. I’ve given it a good blast tonight, foot to the floor in all lower gears and it seemed to have cured it for the remainder of my journey home.

My question however is related to the DPF removal and ECU re-map. I’ve been tempted by this for a while now and reading the posts on here plus my drive home tonight has just enticed me more. Am I right in thinking that by having the re-map and DPF removed, part of the work is to by-pass the EGR valve? Thus killing 2 birds with one stone?! Excuse my mechanical logic here; I’m afraid I have very little.

Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
219 Posts
if I were you I would shut the egr electronically e take dpf out and cancel regens electronically. I do not think you need a remap (more horse power) , you should change the inlet manifold or clean it. having a high mileage car is more important to maintain the car by having injector cleaned (not using products) and regulated (go to a Bosch dealer), keep the air intake system clean, maf sensor clean, inter-cooler clean, new diesel filter, clean turbo and change seals .
If you have the proper maintenance done you will recover those hp that you lost quicker than by doing a remap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick responses.

Bungers - did you consider the DPF removal? The BG 244 looks good at £20. How much did the new EGR, manifold and gasket set you back including labour? Where did you get that done?

Joomoo - I had the car fully serviced at the beginning of January by Sunnyside Garage in Romford, one of the well recommended Alfa garages on the forums, so all the main service items have been completed. Additionally the cam belt has been changed at 90k. Have you had any of the same issues?

Anyone else - Am I right in thinking that the ‘EGR valve’ is made redundant with the ECU/DPF route?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just read some more threads on BG244... then bought some as people rave about it. At only £20, if it helps or cures, it'll be a bargain!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The EGR valve can be disabled when doing a remap (the person doing the modification needs to know what they are doing as this is quite car specific). It needs to be done in the ECU software, hence why it is commonly done during a remap.

·
Registered
178 Posts
@bourne, I am going to go down the remap / delete route for sure. The parts were replaced under warranty so unsure of the cost but can't imagine it was that cheap. Honestly, the BG 244 is great, all of those parts were replaced by the dealer in an attempt to cure the 'misfire' I had, they all did nothing but the BG244 worked wonders!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did a full injector service at a bosch dealer and the car is completly diferent.
My car has 130000km. changed injector needles in 3 injectors and changed 1 injector.
My car had a not so good cold start(injectors fixed), and was cutting a bit at 1500-2000 rpm.(egr fixed when closing).
Also was doing to many regens (dpf out, perfect).
The thing is that with fes and at alfa dealer all the injector and fuel pump were at the right values.
When the injectors came out, really bad spray and full carbon. The car now starts perfectly, and runs like new.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, going to attempt cleaning the EGR valve tomorrow as an interim fix. Put some BG 244 in the tank last night after filling 7/8's of the way up - hoping this combined with the cleaning will improve. I'll be contacting Sunnyside soon for the DPF removal and re-map as I want the best out of the 159 in terms of performance and economy.

I miss my 156 2.4 JTD 10v :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thought I'd report back on the BG 244 and EGR valve cleaning. Ran the BG 244 through the tank and didn't notice any difference but then again with the way the 159 was performing it's hardly surprising...

I took off the EGR valve and gave it a clean. As expected it was full of carbon. I removed most of this and cleaned the valve as best I could but to me it looked shot (admittedly however I'm no mechanic)! This made a bit of difference for a day or two but then quickly dropped back to being sluggish in most gears. I actually timed waiting for the turbo to kick in when putting my foot right down in various gears at sensible revs; the worst timings were as long as 10 seconds!

After reading and re-reading many posts I decided to book it into Sunnyside in Romford for the DPF removal, EGR shut off and one of Gus's re-maps. 4 days before the appointment however I got the dreaded 'have engine checked' warning and horrendous 'limp home' mode kick-in.

I 'limped' to Sunnyside where they showed me two faults; EGR and DPF failures.

Thanks to all who contributed - the dreaded EGR and DPF were indeed the issues. I'll post about my experience of the DPF removal and Re-map in another thread!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts