Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were road works right outside my driveway leading onto a main road. I had just remonstrated with the x2 blokes who had thoughtlessly left their trailer half way across my (and 2 other) drives, to move 10ft which they didn't like. I had just finished saying how dangerous it made the exit and began inching out with the help of the mate who had stopped the traffic successfully from the left and just about from the right. I take my moment and edge another 4 inches to try and turn and wallop from the left again.
Couldn't believe a person who had originally stopped from the left decided it was safe to go (?), and removed the number plate with his wheel as I tried to turn right going the same way as him -

Of course technically its my fault but Jeez that was dumb. All traffic stopped, flashing lights, cones, lorry and van, no space to pass in very restricted area with a car in the middle of the road being directed by someone holding up the traffic!
He obviously felt very stupid (so do I though) and didn't stop. Couldn't find him anywhere.

So do I report it or not? What happens if he comes back saying I didn't stop or something stupid? I won't claim and incredibly there is no damage save for a new plate and new air vent - not a scratch that I can see really till I wash it.

Always thought that number plate was well positioned!! Still smiling though 'cos its very lucky indeed.

N

·
0 Posts
Happens all the time here with scooters.

I'd let it slide, it's just not worth the agro and it's your fault anyway
so as Al say, some insurance bum-raping would ensue.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
no point reporting or claiming - your insurer will just use it as yet another reason to bum-rape you come renewal time
That is a good point. If the third party reports it (which is doubtful as they drove off) then there may be a little comeback.

I would report only to the Police if any body. I reported an accident where we both stopped (his fault he pulled out of a side road), to my insurance company. The damage was about £500 to my car and some to his. We exchanged etc but it turned out he was uninsured or not registered. Police did little but as I had told the insurance company and eventually fixed the car myself/my cost, the *******s as mentioned rape me now for having an accident.
So be careful telling the bum raping thieving toe-rag ******* insurance robbing ***** company :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
You are legally obliged to report the incident within 24 hours at a Police station and produce your documentation. If you dont and the other driver does for some strange reason you may find plod knocking on your door or dropping a couple of notices through your letterbox. To be on the safe side i would cover my backside and comply with the law to make sure there are no comebacks.

·
Registered
37,784 Posts
You are legally obliged to report the incident within 24 hours at a Police station and produce your documentation. If you dont and the other driver does for some strange reason you may find plod knocking on your door or dropping a couple of notices through your letterbox. To be on the safe side i would cover my backside and comply with the law to make sure there are no comebacks.
Even if no one was injured?

If I had a small bump that I thought was my fault, and the other driver didn't bother to stop I would count my blessings then forget the whole thing.

After all if they don't stop, it is very easy to say "What accident".

N

·
0 Posts
Defence for small bump is to say you didn't know it happened, surely?
:confuseed:

OP: get this thread deleted. ;)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your response everyone. Firstly - I would not have informed the insurers if I am paying and concur with the sentiments on most of these companies. My main concern was whether I could be considered in breach of the law or have some gold digger knocking on my door. I was concerned Alfasteve was right and indeed he probably is since doing this would cover any follow up and the police wouldn't have done anything if nobody was hurt . Perversely I have decided not to take it any further on the grounds that a weekend is long enough for a reaction and he drove off when there were witnesses.
As an aside - my local garage provided a new number plate in 3 hours, but I didn't know they are obliged to put their name on the plate by law. Their name is - Alan Johnson Vehicle Repairs - So that's got to go! Anything else is illegal but anyone made up plates online -

A

·
0 Posts
Even if no one was injured?

If I had a small bump that I thought was my fault, and the other driver didn't bother to stop I would count my blessings then forget the whole thing.

After all if they don't stop, it is very easy to say "What accident".
Whats to say they didnt go straight to a Police station and didnt stop for various accepted reasons? Im saying and the law says if for any reason details cant be exchanged then it should be reported as soon as practicable and in any case within 24 hours. Cover your own backside because nobody else will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts