Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Got myself a GT last week,JTS and apart from that it looks great i can't say i am loving it to drive.
Coming from a 156 diesel it just lacks power,apart from selling it again i might remapp it so i wonder what the best place is near me,i live in Canterbury,Kent, so any ideas are welcome.
Thanks
Dick:thumbup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Would that be a 156 2.4 diesel. if so what did you expect from a 500cc smaller engine? If your 156 was the 1.9 as well then there's something wrong with the GT.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Might be driving style. I always notice when my dad drives my car (petrol) he is so used toddriving a diesel he short shifts.

Petrols need revs around the half way wark at least to make good progress.

He always thinks it slow. But thats because diesel drivers always seem to be scared of the revs. That and they are so used to getting full power at 1.5 revs that getting in a petrol where nothing happens for the first 3-4k esp alfa emgines nothing really happens at all.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Lets face it, its not like the JTS is all that powerful to begin with so I am not quite sure what OP was expecting?

And if the JTS is anything like the TS to remap then you won't see any huge gains. TS remaps tend to only give about 8-10 bhp peak increase but give a little bit better torque curve (10-15nM). Since the JTS is a TS derivative I am assuming its probably a similar scenario in which case you probably won't get that much of an increase in power/speed.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks,so i put up with it or go back to diesel,i just feel disapointed with the GT,this just feels like the slowest Alfa i have had.
If anybody wants to swap let me know:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
They sometimes suffer camshaft wear.
So wears the camshaft lobes and then the valves don't open fully.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Ironically and sadly the boot badge says it all.. JTS (just too slow)

Damien.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Had one myself before the 1.9 blackline I have now...even before the remap and mods the derv "feels" quicker..you have to drive them very differently as the JTS likes to be higher up the rev range..its peaky and even then not especially torquey.

Not Alfa's finest moment TBH and regarding a remap...you wont get much ..a few ponies and better throttle response is about all you can expect.

If you want a GT get the 1.9 or the 3.2 ..which one of these you choose will come down to budget and mileage.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To be honest i wasn't really looking for a GT,i was looking for a 156 2.4,but not many around,facelift one,i had a Spider of this guy a few years back and saw by chance he had this GT,Sussex Alfa,so i got it,looked nice.
Live and learn,like i said,i had many Alfa's,but this one just feels sluggish.

·
Registered
948 Posts
As mentioned above the early JTS's were prone to a host of mostly induction related maladies, it wasn't uncommon for them to be around 30 BHP down on rated power when tested.

My GT is the first diesel Alfa I've owned and it took a while to get used to after driving GTV & 156 TS's for years previously...personally a JTS in any form was never on the menu for me though, and running a 3.2 would probably leave me living on baked beans on toast for most of the year :biglaugh:

Reactions: alfadick

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
To be honest i wasn't really looking for a GT,i was looking for a 156 2.4,but not many around,facelift one,i had a Spider of this guy a few years back and saw by chance he had this GT,Sussex Alfa,so i got it,looked nice.
Live and learn,like i said,i had many Alfa's,but this one just feels sluggish.
you have more engine choices in the 156, including two flavours of the wonderful Busso, the 2.5 which is very affordable to buy and not hugely expensive to run, and the 3.2 which will cost more to both buy and own..! but you also have the 1.9 derv, the cracking 5 pot 2.4 and a couple of TS choices as well..

if you would like my honest opinion I would sell the JTS if i were you or return to seller and ask them to find you another 2.4 156 or a 1.9 GT .I think you will be MUCH happier with either of those..if you DO go GT get a re-map and an EGR delete and you will be more than happy with the power.

good luck..:thumbup:

·
Registered
446 Posts
if you would like my honest opinion I would sell the JTS if i were you or return to seller and ask them to find you another 2.4 156 or a 1.9 GT .I think you will be MUCH happier with either of those..if you DO go GT get a re-map and an EGR delete and you will be more than happy with the power.

good luck..:thumbup:
But not the noise.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My JTS felt slow at first but its definitely improved with the following:

- new MAF
- 4 new injectors
- new spark plugs
- throttle reset
- and most importantly, rethinking my driving style

There's just not the torque in a JTS, keeping the car in its powerband at all times makes it tick, and makes for an entertaining drive, it doesn't make for a relaxing drive though at times.

I grew up with 2cvs, and weirdly it feels similar, you've got to keep the momentum going and not be scared to rev the pants off it.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
- and most importantly, rethinking my driving style
...you've got to keep the momentum going and not be scared to rev the pants off it.
Yep.
Moving from a 2.4 Turbo Diesel to a 2.0 Petrol will feel drastically different and if he is unconsciously trying to use the torque of the 2.4JTD while driving the 2.0JTS, then yes progress will feel slow.

It redlines at 7000RPM, don't be afraid to use all of it.

The peek power of the 2.4JTD and 2.0JTS is similar, but the 2.4JTD has roughly double the torque.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Do try to remember gearing does take away that torque when its transmitted to the wheels. But yes both very different driving styles.

I have driven the 2.4 20v before I got the 166 2.0.

I opted for the 166. Yet compared its dog slow. But its just different.

The 2.4 is a peach of an engine. But looking at how it was shoehorned into tje engine back made the v6 look like it had plenty of room.

Great on boost though and you could be quick without trying.

The 2.4 with a remap alone must be a monster.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts