Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was surprised to have to put in quite a lot of coolant today, but it's a while since I checked it. Then I saw a plastic housing at the front left of the engine and it looked wet. Dried it off and water slowly oozed back. Can anyone help?

·
Registered
760 Posts
The EGR cooler is one of the well known weak points on the diesel. They either crack or the gasket fails, so they leak. You’re lucky - as was I - that it’s not let go at speed and dumped a big load of coolant on the motorway.

Good news is that it is a relatively cheap part, now revised to be more reliable, and you can change it yourself. There’s a how-to here https://www.alfaworkshop.co.uk/Giulietta_1.6_2.0_EGR_valve_coolant_housing_replacement.shtml

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Listen to him, you know it makes sense, you risk blocking coolant passages and it still wouldn't work unless you're lucky. Don't make me do my Dirty Harry impression.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I wouldn't use anything like that on a car that you value and plan on keeping. I used something on a PUG305 that did cure a head gasket leak for about 2 months. The EGR cooler cover is a £70 part that will take about an hour to change. If you rely on stuff like K seal, what happens when you are travelling at high speed, as these car's are thoroughbreds that don't potter about and it loses all the coolant, at best warped head, at worst who knows, but a lot more than £70. Still, you pay your money and take your choice/chance!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. You have made your point, just was wondering as it's really taken the shine off the bank holiday weekend, me saying we aren't driving any distance. It's booked in for an mot Tuesday morning I'll see how the inspector likes it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Don't forget part of the MOT is to rev the **** out of a diesel engine, do you want them to do this with no coolant? Please get it fixed first before it costs you a lot of money! I'm not being funny just trying to help you out.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
If it is the EGR cooler cover I would strongly recommend not driving it until it is fixed. There is a good chance it will dump coolant rapidly and the first you would know is the engine overheating and being damaged.

I was lucky, I pulled up at a set of lights near my house and I could smell coolant through the aircon. I opened the bonnet and coolant was dripping onto the floor. By the time I got around the corner to my house the expansion tank was almost empty, so I had to get the car collected and taken back to the garage which supplied it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not driving it, I'm calling the local garage in the morning as it's due to be MOTD and telling them of the problem. Then I'm calling the dealer I bought it from last year as it came with a warranty. Standby for some weasling from them I expect.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not driving it, I'm calling the local garage in the morning as it's due to be MOTD and telling them of the problem. Then I'm calling the dealer I bought it from last year as it came with a warranty. Standby for some weasling from them I expect.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good news, the warranty company have agreed to go ahead with repairs, the only thing is their labour rates are less than the garage charge. Still it will be done with genuine Alfa part for about £50.

·
Registered
37,874 Posts
Good result, the EGR cooler is the Diesels only real weak point and once it has been done you should get trouble free motoring as long as you keep on top of servicing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drove it and it's really sluggish, put in dynamic and it's showing no boost pressure. Called garage. Kids going mad

1 - 20 of 26 Posts