Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Slow Cooker from Tesco for a bargain £10!! but I don't really know what to do with it. :blush:

Any recommendations?

·
Administrator
23,021 Posts
I recently bought a Slow Cooker from Tesco for a bargain £10!! but I don't really know what to do with it. :blush:

Any recommendations?
Cook things slowly?

Never used one but stews are meant to work well - does anyone actually still eat stew?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
It was a great addition to our culinary workshop mate, when we were both grafting away, years past now though. Her indoors would put the thing on in the morning and leave it cooking say an altogether casserole or stew, Chilli mince or one of the recipes for slow cooking that was in in the book, and then on arriving home from work in the evening a delicious meal. Used very little electricity too, just the wattage of a rated light bulb of some power iirc? Need the recipe book you workers.:):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Most meat dishes cooked in it were really tenderised, even the cheaper cuts. Plus she has just told me that it had a wire basket with it, which she could do saute potatoes/chips using the high setting.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Cook some steak and kidney in it, then pop that in a dish on arrival home, cover with a sheet of ready made flakey, pop in oven, for a quick meat pie meal. Maybe the type I'm thinking of are not quite the same as the one you've bought though?:confused:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
be very warey of dried pulses, kidney beans for instance.the temperature is not high enough to kill certain poisins in certain pulses.

Not sure if this is true but i remember Esther Rantzen harping on about it on thats life about 30 years ago.

they are great for cooking stews,casseroles etc and really good for stuffed lambs hearts, as they come out mouth wateringly tender

·
Administrator
45,165 Posts
We've got one, and Jenny makes me some cracking stews in it. I love stew. :love:
Also good for joints, and as intimated above, allows you to use cheaper cuts of meat because the slow cooking tenderises.
If I think on, I'll ask her for you, but to be honest everythng she knows is off the 'net anyway, I bet you'll get tons of ideas from Google.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Tell the truth we don't use ours now, in fact I've got it in my garage and use it as a water heater! It still works fine, with the thermostat clicking on and off, and on the max setting it'll boil the water. We got that when the old country set sail for the Falklands, 'bout '82 or thereabouts was it? :):

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
I think ours was called a 'Crock Pot' at that time, and she says the recipes/instructions told you the settings for the dishes to make sure they were properly cooked to kill any beasties?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Does that include tinned kidney beans? :confused: I was gonna have a go at Rump Steak Chilli sometime.
I think that tinned ones are safe to eat straight from the tin, I think they changed the cooking process for tinned ones after miss Rantzen's rantings. Dried ones are the ones to be carfull with cooking on low heat

·
Registered
20 Posts
greek lamb, dead simple, a big chunk a lamb, or a little one,makes no difference, 2 punnets of cherry tomato,1 tin of butter beans,4 or more cloves of garlic and a bit of coriander,pinch of salt,bit of pepper, throw it all in first thing in the morning and its ready for the evening, just add a touch of thickening if thats yr taste.simples.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Soak the pulses overnight in water (enough to more than cover them) rinse in the morning under the tap and add them to your broth etc..
Dont put them in the bottom though unless you're around to stir it, coz they tend to stick to the bottom.
I do a lot of stuff in ours (chopped tomatoes, peppers, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, sweetcorn, peas, runner beans, frozen or fresh mince or chunks, plenty of water to cover all, add herbs, spices, puree, sauces to taste.
Does joints and cuts of meats to perfection add oil and water or cook-in-sauce even.
BBQ pork and lemon chicken are my faves.
But veg soup is a bargain and actually tastes better reheated the day after.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
deja vu here. mrs al came home with a tesco slow cooker last week and said 'i've no idea what to do with it'

so she bought a slow cooker recipe book, and i've been dining like a king on takeaways ever since :lol:

·
Vendor
45,312 Posts
The wife cooks fantastic lamb shanks in ours,had one for tea tonight and the meat just falls off it :thumbs up:
Thats what I do with mine, just sling it in raw with some chopped garlic and a sprig of rosemary, the bone gets really hot and cooks the lamb from within. Then later you can use the juice to make lovely gravy :thumbs:

·
Administrator
60,119 Posts
I made chili in mine last week but it really is a wonderful machine that cooks all day and then dinner is ready :D

Stew, soups, chilies, puddings, crisps, lots of dessert recipes to try.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts