Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably me not used to the car but I'm finding it quite slow having come from a 230bhp Megane F1 R26. I hate having to pedal half a mile before you have to so the car is quick enough to get past the car in front.
Its ( seems ) really slow at picking up from 60/65 on the motorway when someone in front is trundling along and finally ( after flash, flash flash...of the lights ) moves over to let you past.
I have looked at those chip things you can buy for a few quid on Ebay ( to allegedly give you a bit more bhp ) but are they any good?
Like I said it might just be me but does anyone know of some improvements I could do to improve the torque rather than the BHP?
What about a K&N air Filter ( or similar? )

·
Registered
854 Posts
................you could try using the gearbox :cheese: , i know what you mean about the 60/65 , drop it into 4th, you've got at least another 4000rpm + to play with if your doing 60mph in fifth, thrash it a bit, the sound alone will make you grin :)

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
forget the ebay doodah. it just fools the ecu into pumping in more fuel.
K&N is a good place to start, as is a performance exhaust. Then a re-map will finish her off. £500 (ish) well spent

·
Registered
237 Posts
i get this quite a lot when in my own little world, trunddling along. like Paul said, drop a gear and let the revs do their magic. my mates got one of the quick megane's i was amazed at how quick it was.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
had one of them meganes for around 6 months and ive driven a 2.0 jts 156 and the megane was much faster in my eyes but then im not saying your TS is or isnt down on power. id say you would notice a drop from the megane.

but certainly DONT go for that rubbish on ebay....if something seems too good to be true then it probably is and these are definitely in this category!!

ive had k&n filters before and never noticed any power gains but the sound is immense :)

performance exhaust is the way forward and when combined with a k&n can only increase power!!
i spent £700 in total for the exhaust on my last car which was FULL stainless steel including manifold, de-cat pipe and sports rear silencer.....i noticed a very good gain in power and more response aswell which could of been from the k&n

all in all it was well worth it just to know the exhaust would never need replacing lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
had one of them meganes for around 6 months and ive driven a 2.0 jts 156 and the megane was much faster in my eyes but then im not saying your TS is or isnt down on power. id say you would notice a drop from the megane.

but certainly DONT go for that rubbish on ebay....if something seems too good to be true then it probably is and these are definitely in this category!!

ive had k&n filters before and never noticed any power gains but the sound is immense :)

performance exhaust is the way forward and when combined with a k&n can only increase power!!
i spent £700 in total for the exhaust on my last car which was FULL stainless steel including manifold, de-cat pipe and sports rear silencer.....i noticed a very good gain in power and more response aswell which could of been from the k&n

all in all it was well worth it just to know the exhaust would never need replacing lol
What exhaust did you end up getting and any recommendations for the 156 for sports exhaust? I've got a 2.0 Sele and the exhaust on that is quite nice personally...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
What exhaust did you end up getting and any recommendations for the 156 for sports exhaust? I've got a 2.0 Sele and the exhaust on that is quite nice personally...
Yours might look nice but the design of OE or off-the-shelf KwikFit exhausts restrict airflow and therefore stifle the gases coming out of your engine.

A performance exhaust is tuned to give the optimum back pressure whilst not choking the motor.

The K&N basically does the same thing for air going in. Standard filters slow the air and restrict how much can be drawn in to the combustion chamber. The K&N will allow plenty of air in... and the exhaust will get it all out quickly.

A remap will adjust the fueling accurately to optimize the fuel/air mixture, releasing more power. That will improve BHP and torque and the car will rev more freely with less flat spots.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
So what are the recommendations when changing the exhaust? Is there a preferred supplier or anything?
on my last car i had a janspeed system but im not sure for alfas having never had one fitted on a alfa! the janspeed gave a awsome sporty tone without being "over the top loud"

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Check out youtube for a ragazon on a 156. They sound awesome.
just checked and yeah your right there awsome sound!!! some a bit loud for my liking but still gorgeous!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
+1

I have a Ragazzon Straight thought centre section and back box with a oval exit. Loud but does sound awesome at high revs.

Can I post links to stuff on face book on here? if so i have a vid of a trackday after have that lot fitted... excuse the driving linky linky

or this one link

As for it being slow, you just need to know how to drive it. Wring its neck

·
Registered
257 Posts
LOL Funny..... I was thinking the exact opposite the other day as as I was "playing" with a Megane 225. I moved over for him yet he couldn't pull away from me .... I was shocked at the waste of an extra 70 horses or so... Trust me, he was trying! He had the edge up to 60 but errr...over & up to 70...ish (of course) shall we say :rolleyes: I just reined him back in ......Maybe an inexperienced driver, I don't know?
You'll get used to how to use the revs on a twinny m8.... ;) There isn't many cars with below and around 200bhp that can embarrass an alfa on song:lol:

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
This is probably me not used to the car but I'm finding it quite slow having come from a 230bhp Megane F1 R26. I hate having to pedal half a mile before you have to so the car is quick enough to get past the car in front.
Its ( seems ) really slow at picking up from 60/65 on the motorway when someone in front is trundling along and finally ( after flash, flash flash...of the lights ) moves over to let you past.
I have looked at those chip things you can buy for a few quid on Ebay ( to allegedly give you a bit more bhp ) but are they any good?
Like I said it might just be me but does anyone know of some improvements I could do to improve the torque rather than the BHP?
What about a K&N air Filter ( or similar? )
Well the Alfa is bound to feel slow after your 230BHP Megane. Bear in mind that money you spend trying to improve the performance of your Alfa won't really add to the re-sale value. You would be better off buying a 2.5 V6 or GTA version. Both of these cars are radically different to the 2.0 TS. If you want pure grunt it's the way to go. I compared the 1.8, 2.0 and 2.5 before buying the 2.5. There was no contest IMHO. Since then, the GTA has been released, which is even better. Go test drive one and see what you think..... :)

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
I'd get someone to look at your car as my 2.0TS picks up wonderfully from 60/65 ... and doesn't take that many seconds to be seriously illegal ... I'd have thought a 2.5 would have mine hands-down with the extra horses and torque ...

Perhaps you have other problems: blocked cats are getting common and these strangle the performance. Is the air-filter clean? My TS still uses the standard filter with a V6 pipe and is pretty responsive. Or it could be your throttle isn't responding properly: V6 has a fly-by-wire not a good ol' fashioned cable.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
LOL Funny..... I was thinking the exact opposite the other day as as I was "playing" with a Megane 225. I moved over for him yet he couldn't pull away from me .... I was shocked at the waste of an extra 70 horses or so... Trust me, he was trying! He had the edge up to 60 but errr...over & up to 70...ish (of course) shall we say :rolleyes: I just reined him back in ......Maybe an inexperienced driver, I don't know?
You'll get used to how to use the revs on a twinny m8.... ;) There isn't many cars with below and around 200bhp that can embarrass an alfa on song:lol:
I had similar, had a play with a new Renault Clio Renaultsport on the stretch of "private road" and from a standing start he had a small edge on my alfa, but after that I just steadly pulled away.

Just dont be afraid to use the revs.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Twinsparks love to be revved! Take her up to 6k and beyond in 2nd gear and above and listen to her sing! That's also called an Italian tune up [;-)]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All points noted, it will just take some getting used to I suppose. The good thing about the pulling power of the Megane was its torque, so I hardly had to change gear on the motorway which leads me onto another point about the comments about the Megane and the Clio. Firstly I am swapping from the R26 which is 230 and not the 225 Cup version and going to a 2.0 TS not a V6 which, obviously is considerably more powerful than the 2.0ltr. I am only swapping due to a change in work issues and wouldn't have done so if i didn't need to keep a roof over my family's heads. Thats not to say I think the Alfa is rubbish, just completely different.
The R26 is widely recognised has a drivers car becuase of its handling, same as the Clio F1. Yes, the are cars out there that could keep up with the Megane and the Clio in straight lines, but take them around corners and great driving roads and I'll guarantee the Renaults will be somewhere in the distance way ahead of the Alfa 2.0,V6, etc. My brother ( who has had a 156 and a GTA ) will back me up with this as he ran the Racestar.tv Clio in the Clio Cup Championship in 2007 and 2008 ( on the BTCC support package ), now they are in the Mini's for 2009 but thats another story. One of his drivers ( Phil House ) has also tested the Megane R26R and says its awsome ( wish I could have one of those ).
Having said all this, which must seem like I love the Megane (which i do ), I must say if I could afford to get a Brera or a high performance Alfa 159 I would do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts