Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all after about a year of ownership of my 147 jtdm q2 trouble free may I add I have finally hit an issue which I haven't really come across before.
I love owning this Alfa but based on feedback to the below sadly it maybe time to part company with my 147.
I have read through a few threads on topic but just wanted to give my specific symptoms and see what ya think.
The car sets off no bother will even wheel spin easy (not that I do that all the time I am old now lol )
There's no smell of slipping clutch.
No abnormal noise.
Under gentle normal acceleration there appears to be no issue.
Sometimes not all the time when you go to accelerate in fifth or sixth gear under load it appears that the clutch slips the revs rise out of proportion to the speedo around 2000 / 3500 revs then all of a sudden it seems to bite almost like the release bearing has stuck and the clutch is not fully engaged.
What worries me is due l mass fly wheel I no nothing about them is this a characteristic of one of them failing the car has 83 k on the clock.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated thanks in advance regards Mike.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Hi all after about a year of ownership of my 147 jtdm q2 trouble free may I add I have finally hit an issue which I haven't really come across before.
I love owning this Alfa but based on feedback to the below sadly it maybe time to part company with my 147.
I have read through a few threads on topic but just wanted to give my specific symptoms and see what ya think.
The car sets off no bother will even wheel spin easy (not that I do that all the time I am old now lol )
No abnormal noise.
Sometimes not all the time when you go to accelerate in fifth or sixth gear under load it appears that the clutch slips the revs rise out of proportion to the speedo around 2000 / 3500 revs then all of a sudden it seems to bite almost like the release bearing has stuck and the clutch is not fully engaged.
What worries me is due l mass fly wheel I no nothing about them is this a characteristic of one of them failing the car has 83 k on the clock.
Yep that's a worn out clutch...

Peak torque on these engines chucks out at around 2700-3000 rpm I believe, so slipping in that range is not surprising!

If it's made 83k on the original clutch, then it's due for replacement... Certainly not worth getting rid of the car over, especially one with the Q2 diff!!

Clutch replacement should be around the £500 mark from your local indy shop.

V

·
0 Posts
No abnormal noise.

That sounds like a slipping clutch to me.

And with your propensity for drag-racing away from the lights and 83K miles on the clock with the original item, it's hardly surprising it's time for a new one. And it would be no different with a VW, Citroen, Toyota or any other diesel you care to mention (apart from the fact they wouldn't be nearly as good-looking or as much fun to drive).

It's simply a case of that's when they wear out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep that's a worn out clutch...

Peak torque on these engines chucks out at around 2700-3000 rpm I believe, so slipping in that range is not surprising!

If it's made 83k on the original clutch, then it's due for replacement... Certainly not worth getting rid of the car over, especially one with the Q2 diff!!

Clutch replacement should be around the £500 mark from your local indy shop.
It is a genuine q2 it's got the lot and it's a nice colour too the only reason I was thinking of getting rid of it is the missus uses it as a run around and I bought the car for 2200 a year ago spent about 2500 on it got the cam belt done waterpump rear windows tinted it drives like its on rails when she lets me drive it that is. I am just reluctant to spend a lot of money on it I would normally do the work myself but unfortunately have cancer at the minute and on chemo so that's out of the question I have seen they sell ok with the q2 being a sort after model so I am now thinking either replace the clutch and keep the car so long as it's not the dual mass fly wheel. Or list it on e bay and be honest about the clutch issue and try and get some money back off it thanks for your advice I will shop around see what the clutch is going to cost. Your right about the Q 2 it is an amazing bit of kit. I will look into the release bearing too see that it's returning freely.Thanks all regards Mike.

V

·
0 Posts
Bloody hell, you have cancer? :depressed:

In that case: with all the money you've already spent it would be crazy to sell the car now (at a great loss). And you've admitted yourself, you love the thing and it drives like a dream.

Bite the bullet and get a new clutch at a good independent like Autolusso (in your case, Penrith) for £495.

And at the risk of sounding rather glib, get yourself better so that you can enjoy the car - hopefully it will serve as an incentive :wink_org:.

Very best wishes to you Mikey :yes:.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bloody hell, you have cancer? :depressed:

In that case: with all the money you've already spent it would be crazy to sell the car now (at a great loss). And you've admitted yourself, you love the thing and it drives like a dream.

Bite the bullet and get a new clutch at a good independent like Autolusso (in your case, Penrith) for £495.

And at the risk of sounding rather glib, get yourself better so that you can enjoy the car - hopefully it will serve as an incentive :wink_org:.

Very best wishes to you Mikey :yes:.
Thanks I am going to get some prices local the main thing that worries me about spending on it is that I read on one of the old threads someone saying that around 80k was time when lots of things start to fail do you think that if I am going to change the clutch I should bite the bullet and get the fly wheel changed ? just knowing my look lately I will get the clutch plate replaced and a week later the flywheel will fail. I know it's the luck of the draw and it is a great car I think if am going to get it fixed I may even splash out a few quid and replace the front and rear Alfa badges that are looking a little worn.
Thanks for your advice it's much appreciated I am sure with a new clutch it will once again be a pleasure to drive regards Mike.

·
Registered
324 Posts
It makes absolutely no financial sense to cut loose a car just because an consumable item reached end of expected life (which is a fair statement wrt your clutch).
I have 147 jtd with ca 160k miles on the clock (original DMF btw, clutch has been changed) and it most certainly doesn't start failing any more than other cars after 80k miles.
If you like the car, get the clutch changed and enjoy it for years to come, if you're looking for an excuse to change cars, then do that.
Just from a purely economical point of view, certainly get the clutch changed.

Regardless what you decide, take care and best of luck with your health and treatment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It makes absolutely no financial sense to cut loose a car just because an consumable item reached end of expected life (which is a fair statement wrt your clutch).
I have 147 jtd with ca 160k miles on the clock (original DMF btw, clutch has been changed) and it most certainly doesn't start failing any more than other cars after 80k miles.
If you like the car, get the clutch changed and enjoy it for years to come, if you're looking for an excuse to change cars, then do that.
Just from a purely economical point of view, certainly get the clutch changed.

Regardless what you decide, take care and best of luck with your health and treatment.
Thanks I made a bit of an error in my original post with regards to how much the car owes me and my reasons behind thinking of just getting rid of it the car all in owes me 2500. Not 2200 plus 2500 as I had written in the original post it's the chemo screws your brain up lol. When I have looked on eBay I have seen the q2 models up for strong money so my thoughts when I was looking to get rid of the car where that I only have 2500 in it so if I managed to sell it on eBay for maybe 1500 with the slippy clutch then I have had a good years motoring for a 1000 quid bangernomics as my friend would call it. After the advice I got on here though I think I should just bite the bullet put it in and get the clutch changed and hope that the person who does the clutch can make a good assessment of the dmf to make sure it's ok. I am sure once done the car will be great again I am sure that the clutch is slightly slipping all the time it's just becomes more apparent when its under load. Last round of chemo on Monday hopefully by summer I might be back up to messing on with cars I don't think the Alfa has been washed for nine months it's looking a little sorry for itself at the minute and needs a good wash.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
keep it...

I have no doubt you will be hooning around in it by the summer with a big smile on your face...:biglaugh:

normal for a clutch to go at that mileage so not your luck just a modern torque producing diesel at 80ishk

best of luck for a speedy and full recovery..:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
keep it...

I have no doubt you will be hooning around in it by the summer with a big smile on your face...:biglaugh:

normal for a clutch to go at that mileage so not your luck just a modern torque producing diesel at 80ishk

best of luck for a speedy and full recovery..:thumbup:
Just thinking I may go for an uprated spec clutch like someone mentioned in a post earlier cause it does seem to have loads of torque I think after that I need to look at the tyres it has toyo i think they are t1r's on it at the minute they seem great in the dry but they don't seem to grip to well the minute the roads a bit damp I usually use falken or Yokohama tyres Can't wait for summer
Thanks for your advice regards Mike.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Keep it. Selling a car because a clutch is slipping is like selling a car because it needs new brake pads and discs. Or new tyres a set of four.

Financial suicide. Can understand if it was playing up. Or you didnt like it...

hope these messages help make up your mind.
Get it changed have anotjer 60k with it not needed. Hopefully.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep it. Selling a car because a clutch is slipping is like selling a car because it needs new brake pads and discs. Or new tyres a set of four.

Financial suicide. Can understand if it was playing up. Or you didnt like it...

hope these messages help make up your mind.
Get it changed have anotjer 60k with it not needed. Hopefully.
It's getting done all of the feedback has made my mind up the Alfa will live on ! And it's great fun to drive, not sure when but its definatly getting the clutch done I may wait until I am up to it I don't think it needs doing in a rush the issue has just shown itself and most the time missus drives it slow anyway. It's in for its mot on Tuesday so will get some feedback on its general condition from the garage. I have asked the local garage I use to give me a price but I love doing stuff myself if I can I did the cam belt water pump and egr from following the guides on here and really enjoyed working on the car myself.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It's getting done all of the feedback has made my mind up the Alfa will live on ! And it's great fun to drive, not sure when but its definatly getting the clutch done I may wait until I am up to it I don't think it needs doing in a rush the issue has just shown itself and most the time missus drives it slow anyway. It's in for its mot on Tuesday so will get some feedback on its general condition from the garage. I have asked the local garage I use to give me a price but I love doing stuff myself if I can I did the cam belt water pump and egr from following the guides on here and really enjoyed working on the car myself.
If you are careful not to put too much strain on the clutch you may be able to get it to last quite a while. Try to avoid driving in a high gear at lowish revs. The more you cause the clutch to slip the sooner you will need to replace it. If it is any consolation the clutch on our old Audi A6 has been slipping for years and still not replaced. Hope things work out well for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you are careful not to put too much strain on the clutch you may be able to get it to last quite a while. Try to avoid driving in a high gear at lowish revs. The more you cause the clutch to slip the sooner you will need to replace it. If it is any consolation the clutch on our old Audi A6 has been slipping for years and still not replaced. Hope things work out well for you.
Thanks I am pretty sure it's just started to do it only in the high gears 5th and 6th like you say when going up from low revs once I get the price for doing it I will decide weather to try and hold out until I am back to being capable of doing the clutch me self or if the price is reasonable I will just put it in and get it replaced. I expect that providing the missus takes it easy and I don't get behind the wheel and give it a hard time that it will make it to summer time.
Thanks again regards Mike.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought genuine clutch and flywheel and bearings straight from Italy all in for £255 + £25 delivery and received in 2 days - being fitted today so worth checking around for good price. paying £40 an hour for 6 hrs work to mechanic that has done it before. Had spent hours finding most people saying it will cost £1000 + so thought I would help people with there worries :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
similar situation here - with the same symptoms. Official readings 101K plus most likely another 25K when an odometer was replaced.

A quick ask of most places got me quotes close to 1,000 since everyone advised to do the flywheel at the same time. 275 for the kit sounds very very good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts