Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, it's slightly damp out there today but my car doesn't feel very stable... It's almost like I'm not getting traction or something. :(

For example go a little quick around a corner and I get understeer a fair bit sooner than I should be. ????

Tyres are ok.

What could possibly be wrong.

:/

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Tyres should be 32psi.

If you have over inflated, can give you that result.

·
Vendor
47,164 Posts
Make sure you're driving right too. If oversteer is a worry then stay on the throttle during the turn, do all your slowing, gear changing and braking before the corner, and don't ease off during the corner as the engine braking transfers the cars weight forward, lightening the rear and allowing it to slide out and come past you... :eek:

In practice though, its quite difficult not to ease off on a corner if you think you have come in too fast.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You sure it's not just all the grit that has been put on the roads. Last week before it rained on Thursday the roads around Glasgow were very greasy and I was understeering while driving at normal speeds, I was also feeling the ABS pumping through the brake pedal while slowing down, but not heavy braking. Thankfully it rained on Thursday and washed the roads clean.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Oversteer?? that's one problem I certainly haven't had with my 156!! The odd bit of understeer but that's just down to poor tyres that were on when I bought the car, plenty of tread left on them but little grip in the wet.....I just decided to leave them until winter was over....plus they're called A.L.P.H.A.!! Which i thought was a good enough reason to keep 'em :lol:

You could try stiffening the front of your car a little, upper and lower strut braces for example, to cure the oversteer!!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Oversteer, understeer, slip/creep angle? When rear slip angles are greater than those at at the front, the vehicle will turn more sharply than normal, a condition called oversteer. To correct this condition a driver has to straighten up the steering wheel ( effectively reducing the angle of cornering by turning the front wheels towards the direction of the rear wheel oversteer).

Oversteer can be caused by:

Moving the centre of gravity towards the rear,i.e. incresing the load at the rear of the vehicle.
Lower tyre inflation pressure at the rear than that recommended.
Large load transference from inner rear wheel to outer rear wheel when cornering, such as occurs with excessive cornering speeds or sudden attempts at cornering (sudden direction change). Is that about correct?:): Understeer,......? The opposite.?:):

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
If it isn't the result of road surface, driving style or tyre pressures you might want to check the condition of your rear suspension bushes. I don't know what 156's are like but wear in these often result in wayward handling in many cars and you can throw money at other areas without getting full value if they're shot.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If it isn't the result of road surface, driving style or tyre pressures you might want to check the condition of your rear suspension bushes. I don't know what 156's are like but wear in these often result in wayward handling in many cars and you can throw money at other areas without getting full value if they're shot.
+1
If you check your tyres, next check the rear bushes. A shifting rear will cause all sorts of mayhem in the wet.

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THanks guys, I do think the roads are pretty greasy around here as AMclean was saying...

For the record guys I'm not caining it at all. These are at relatively normal speeds.

I've just got some (aha Finally) GTA teledials now so I will stick them on in a few weeks. :) I reckon that will improve my handling. :D

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
I've just ordered a set of powerflex bushes for the rear hub so I'm hoping that will cure some of the vague feeling I get from mine.

Also the steering seems to go off after about 3-4 months and becomes really light and poor handling - need to take it again for alignment check - any thoughts on what might cause that? - all the front suspension is new :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tracking? Maybe I should get mine looked at.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Had 4 wheel alignment done about 4 months back but I can feel the car slowly getting worse, happened before as well. Will take it for alignment today and see how it feels

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
I've noticed that Ned & the boys now do Powerflexing as part of their service and that you can get full car kits for the 156 now (you couldn't AFAIK when I had my 156). Used PF bushes on an old Ford Orion Ghia Si and was amazed at the difference:wow:

156's will lift off oversteer but yours sounds scary Joe. Get it looked at matey.

Those wheels & tyres look cool. I take it you have 4 and the tyres are new??

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
23,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm getting them from Paul in about 3 weeks time. The tyres seems ok.

I may get Autolusso to Powerflex me. I need to get up there to see him soon anyway.

OA

1 - 20 of 37 Posts