Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've only had my 1.9 JTD 16V Multi-jet for about 2 or 3 weeks now (bought from Lawrence from Autolusso) and properly loving it.

The only thing is in the past week I've noticed that at idle the throttle is a little irregular occasionaly with a very slight but noticeable judder (as if it were going to stall but no where near that bad).

Also I had a suspicion and its been confirmed that the mpg has gone down. I used to get about 120 to 130 miles from £15 of Diesel but now its about 90 to 100 and on my trip computer my average mpg says 38mpg. On the 'actual mpg' (I know its not accurate at all) when pulling away smoothly and conservatively in 1st & 2nd its around the 15 to 20mpg mark where I swear 2 weeks ago it would be 30 or something!

I'm not entirely sure if I'm imagining it but seems like the power delivery doesn't seem to be as consistent as it was at around 3000 rpm in third (not as much of that lovely surge used to get).

Autolusso had completely serviced it and put new cambelt and tensioners and passed its MOT with no advisories before I bought it. Since then I've not been cane-ing it about everywhere or anything, maybe giving it a little bit of beans once a week for few minutes if that.

Suggestions, help, anyone else's like this? Does it just need tuning (surely not since just been serviced) or maybe an O2 sensor (had prob like that on my 156). :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll download it when I'm back at home and see how dificult it looks. How often should it need cleaning the "EGR" valve?

Also there isn't much risk of me damaging the car/engine if I make a mistake or anything is there? Just asking cos not really done anything really mechanical to a car before.

·
Registered
92 Posts
John,
It's not clear to me if you bought the car as a private sale from Lawrence or as a commercial sale with Lawrence being the Autolusso salesman. If the latter and a warranty was included in the sale, return the car and ask them to run diagnostics to determine the fault.............it could be EGR, MAF or some other fault. The warranty should cover the costs, but read the small print as a precaution. If no warranty, diagnostics would still be helpful and could save a lot of effort and cost.

HTH

Stuart

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Stuart,
Sorry for the confusion, I bought the car as a private sale from Lawrence. Ned (Autolusso) says he doesn't sell second hand cars any more. So there was no warranty, still plan to give him a call to see what he thinks because was supposed to be pretty much mint car (I know things can go wrong with any car though).

The problem is I live in Manchester and made a special trip on trains etc all way down there to just pick up the car. So unfortunately not really feasible to just pop down to run diagnostics. Think I'll just have to take it to my regular mechanic up here & see what he says.

Really hope its nothing serious/expensive having only just got the car! :(

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hi Stuart,
Sorry for the confusion, I bought the car as a private sale from Lawrence. Ned (Autolusso) says he doesn't sell second hand cars any more. So there was no warranty, still plan to give him a call to see what he thinks because was supposed to be pretty much mint car (I know things can go wrong with any car though).

The problem is I live in Manchester and made a special trip on trains etc all way down there to just pick up the car. So unfortunately not really feasible to just pop down to run diagnostics. Think I'll just have to take it to my regular mechanic up here & see what he says.

Really hope its nothing serious/expensive having only just got the car! :(
Give me or Laurence a call and we will do whatever we can to help, you did buy if from Laurence as a private sale but it was sold on our company e-bay account, the reason I let him use the company account is because I know he we sort it out if one of his buyers has a problem he will do whatever he can to sort it out:thumbs:

Ned

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Ned,
I know you guys are one of the good guys (thats why I bought from you guys in the first place without coming to see it- even though it was a private sale) I'm going to give it another test next time the light comes on and I put £15's worth in to make sure its not just me imaginging it. Definately not imagining the slightly lump ide though :(

I'll give you guys a ring in a week or so after I've made sure but pretty sure something isn't quite the same as when I picked it up.

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Thanks Ned,
I know you guys are one of the good guys (thats why I bought from you guys in the first place without coming to see it- even though it was a private sale) I'm going to give it another test next time the light comes on and I put £15's worth in to make sure its not just me imaginging it. Definately not imagining the slightly lump ide though :(

I'll give you guys a ring in a week or so after I've made sure but pretty sure something isn't quite the same as when I picked it up.
£15? Fill it up and do 400 miles then fill it up again and you will see exactly how much fuel it has used, Alfa fuel gages are notoriously unreliable :D

Ned

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know thats the best way to do it, the thing it I didn't fill it up when I got it so don't know how much it was using before all of this.

Or if I did that do you know how much Diesel a perfectly working 1.9JTD multijet should use when driven normally (i.e. not aggressively)?

·
Registered
668 Posts
My GT 1.9JTD has done ~12500km in the year I've had it. Mostly consisting of dual-carrigway (120kph) / main road driving (5th gear, 6 speed box) and stuck in traffic for a bit too. Pretty much standard driving. I've bought 167.25 gallons of diesel giving a fuel consumption of ~46mpg over those 12500km.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks PMackey, anyone else got mpg figures (ideally for a 147 JTD)?

I filled car up last night so will do few hundred and fill it up again and we'll see whats the story. Getting more and more sure that I'm not imagining it though but we'll see.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys & Autolusso, I just filled up again and here are the mpg figures. I did 420 miles on 50 Litres of Diesel. So by my calculations thats 11 Gallons thus I did about 38MPG. Thats with normal driving for literally 90% of the time with very occasionaly thrash for less than a minute at a time. Also a mix maybe 30% motorway & 70%town driving.

So does that sound like a reasonable figure? Incidentally the Trip computer said I did 41.5MPG over that distance so its not a million miles away.

I also noticed that I do get a bit more smoke than you'd expect from a Diesel when pulling away in first under normal throttle. My first impression seeing the smoke is that it seems to be running a bit rich. Oh and still have irregular iddle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts