Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps

I have owned my GTV for less than a week and am really enjoying it. Just got one small gripe. There seems to be a whine coming from the engine bay whilst the engine is running. The pitch changes when revving the car in or out of gear. When accelarating it gets drowned out by the loverrrrrrllllyyyy engine noise. The cambelt and bits have been done a few thousand miles ago. It kinda sounds like a belt or something. This is my first experience with this engine so any help would be appreciated! Just hoping a bit of WD40 might help ;)

·
Registered
629 Posts
were all the tensioners & pulleys changed when the cambelt was done?
it could be coming from the auxillary belt or one of the items that it drives. try removing that belt and starting the engine, if the noise is still there then it's got to be cambelt/balance belt area.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yeah the aux belt is the one on the left hand side of the block as you're facing it. check the history on the belt change to see what was replaced should be belts, tensioners and variator.

One thing to check is the cam cover catching on the aux belt pulleys?

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Mine whines like a *******! :D It's done it since it was brand new, so I don't think a whiney GTV necessarily has anything wrong with it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mine used to whine as well, so I had the aux tensioner/idler replaced (the only things not changed at the belts service) which fixed it. But then a couple of months later it returned :mad:

The old ones which came off seemed OK, no obvious signs of wear/play so I'm guessing they just have a tendency to whine when they've been run in. Annoying, but what can you do?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have checked on the service history and all the tensioners and extras were done with the cambelt. Might try that Jonno, its just an annoying whine, detracts from the nice engine note a touch. It needs a service to so maybe some new oil and filters might help!

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
Mine whines at 80 mph (so, obviously I never hear it apart from on track days ;) ) I think its just one of those things...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
had a real good listen over the weekend and the biggest whine seems to be coming from the clutch, dry bearing by the sound, o dear.....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Clutch noise WILL change if clutch depressed. Went to look at my first GTV on Friday and was shocked by the feel of the clutch - felt seized!
Your whine... check your power steering fluid level?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts