Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, another issue. I have a slight knocking under easy acceleration, and pulling to the right. Slightly wishy washy feel to the steering too. I expect its the lower arm(s). Easy to change?

·
Vendor
45,782 Posts
You can do it on your driveway, if you are going to do it yourself to save some money then go for either OEM or Delphi arms. Don't try and save money by getting the cheaper pattern parts as it can be a nightmare to get the bolts to line up, and you'll end up fighting with it for hours, giving up, putting the old knackered arm back on and driving it to a garage.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
+1 for the delphi ones :)

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
Give me a call Si - I can either do the job for you or supply the Delphi arms.

I would strongly advise against unknown/cheap wishbones. I saw on eBay the other day 2 drop links, 2 upper arms and 2 lower arms for something like £100!!! I can of course sculpt you some out of Brie and you can fit them :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
Pretty straight forward job....but equally be prepared for a fair bit of swearing and the odd tantrum on the driveway:lol:

I got my lowers from EB spares, TRW items.

I might be worthwhile replacing the mounting bolts too as the exposed thread can become very corroded. The ones on the O/S on my car were pretty nasty, and I spent a while 'refurbing' the threads. After that I bought new bolts for the N/S.....only to find that on that side the bolts were fine:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Pretty straight forward job....but equally be prepared for a fair bit of swearing and the odd tantrum on the driveway:lol:

I got my lowers from EB spares, TRW items.

I might be worthwhile replacing the mounting bolts too as the exposed thread can become very corroded. The ones on the O/S on my car were pretty nasty, and I spent a while 'refurbing' the threads. After that I bought new bolts for the N/S.....only to find that on that side the bolts were fine:rolleyes:
Can't say I've ever had an issue with bolts on any of my wishbones. Only one I've ever had to get new were the 10mm hex ones on the front shock fork when they rounded out :rolleyes:

M

·
0 Posts
Can't say I've ever had an issue with bolts on any of my wishbones. Only one I've ever had to get new were the 10mm hex ones on the front shock fork when they rounded out :rolleyes:
Yeah, if there is no hurry to get the car back in the road, it's probably best to see what the bolts are like first, before shelling out over £30 for new ones that might not be needed. Most places will deliver the next day if they are required:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Give me a call Si - I can either do the job for you or supply the Delphi arms.

I would strongly advise against unknown/cheap wishbones. I saw on eBay the other day 2 drop links, 2 upper arms and 2 lower arms for something like £100!!! I can of course sculpt you some out of Brie and you can fit them :lol:

I would love to see a picture of some beautifully sculpted Suspension arms in Brie, that would look excellent on the cheese board at christmas dinner hehe lol

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
1,096 Posts
I would love to see a picture of some beautifully sculpted Suspension arms in Brie, that would look excellent on the cheese board at christmas dinner hehe lol
Maybe I should start a line up of novelty car part sculptures made from Brie and of course other soft cheeses! :lol:

Bet they would sell too!!!

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Maybe I should start a line up of novelty car part sculptures made from Brie and of course other soft cheeses! :lol:

Snds perfect SOLD

·
Vendor
45,782 Posts

Can I have a 17" GT Multispoke wheel please Loz?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I'll have a busso inlet plenum please loz :D

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Further update on this. I'm not convinced its arms now. The knocking sound is only when pulling away from a stop, as the clutch hits the biting point. What could it brie, engine mount?

·
Vendor
45,782 Posts
Rear engine mount or slop in a driveshaft.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ah, that would make sense. It's sounds like a coupling of some sort. It clunks lightly as the clutch is engaged, and whilst slowing down to a stop.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts